radiant Floor Retrofit need supply source advice.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen, Too much info scattered in this forum. Sorry. I did try to search.

Please direct me to threads you feel were good for my questions. But if you know the answers then go ahead and inform me if you please.

Good source for radiant plates for under floor heat. I am going to start out with the rooms farthest away from my fireplace that has a nice old insert. Going to only do three bed rooms and a large bathroom.

Just really need to know the sources for all the components, best ones to use and the ones to stay away from. I have an old whole house boiler and a heat exchanger hot water tank.

Thanks,
Scott.

Based on the reading I've done AL flashing available at your local Menards, Lowes and HD are the best bet for radiant plates. I personally would not spend the money on the "engineered" plates being sold. If you search around here you will find a thread that shows how to build a pretty cool tool to bend the flashing around your Pex....

Hi Scott-

Step one is a room by room heat loss calculation. This will determine if lightweight stamped plates are going to deliver the btu's or if you'll need the expensive extruded plates. Also will determine the water temp for your radiant floor.

I have spent lots of time at these sites and recommend you do the same. Run some searches on "heat transfer plates".

http://greenbuildingtalk.com/Forums/tabid/53/afv/topicsview/aff/12/Default.aspx

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-category/92/Radiant-Heating

Good luck,
Noah

Maybe Hot Rod will post some of the IR pictures he took of various types of plates here. I remember seeing them on the Wall and they were very........shall we say, revealing. All plates are not created equally when it comes to heat transfer. Good pex to plate contact that STAYS that way is very important if you want consistent performance and the ability to use lower water temps.

I agree with Stee6040, use thin alluminun flashing but make sure it is soft. I have used the stuff that Radiant Tech out of vermont sells and I* love it. I have used stuff that does not bend very well and I hate it. google "warm toes" in Vermont.

Status
Not open for further replies.