radiant heat from glass doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gonefishin

Apr 8, 2011
Northeast Ohio
I have a majestic insert in my fireplace now with screen doors and glass doors. I keep readin how I should close the glass doors to allow more radiant heat in house. Well iv tried both doors closed then opening them, I get by far more heat when doors open! I can't sit anywhere near fireplace when doors are open. I believe I'm getting much more heat into house, of course I'm gettin a lot more burns in my carpet from flying sparks..

Next question to ask yourself though is how much heat are you losing by effectively having a free burn vs. utilizing a secondary burn in the stove . . . followed by the question how much heat are you losing by having a stronger draft whisk the products of combustion (i.e. smoke AND heat) up the chimney.

You may feel warmer at first, but you're missing a few key issues here . . . in the long run you'll be more comfortable and warmer by using the insert as it should be used and taking advantage of the secondary burn.

gonefishin said:
I have a majestic insert in my fireplace now with screen doors and glass doors. I keep readin how I should close the glass doors to allow more radiant heat in house. Well iv tried both doors closed then opening them, I get by far more heat when doors open! I can't sit anywhere near fireplace when doors are open. I believe I'm getting much more heat into house, of course I'm gettin a lot more burns in my carpet from flying sparks..

Definitely safer to burn with the doors closed

firefighterjake said:
Next question to ask yourself though is how much heat are you losing by effectively having a free burn vs. utilizing a secondary burn in the stove . . . followed by the question how much heat are you losing by having a stronger draft whisk the products of combustion (i.e. smoke AND heat) up the chimney.

You may feel warmer at first, but you're missing a few key issues here . . . in the long run you'll be more comfortable and warmer by using the insert as it should be used and taking advantage of the secondary burn.

This in not a real stove insert, its just a aT to burn fires in fireplace.no secondary burn, I don't see much diff in draft. I do have a blower, it does put out good heat.

You'll feel more radiant heat with the doors open but be burning the wood much faster and sending a lot more heat up the chimney. also, the more heated air that gets sucked out of you house and up the chimney has to be replaced, so cold outside air gets sucked in around doors and windows to replace it. It's more efficient to burn with the doors closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.