Radiant Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's cool... looks like something from Scottie's engine room on Star Trek.

Star Trek, yeah! Dilithium crystals instead of pellets?

"Scottie, I need more power!"

"She's giving you all she's got. She can't take any more, Captain!" LOL

Seriously, unless you've got an ultra modern home that thing would stick out like a sore thumb. Maybe in black it wouldn't be so bad. Sort of neat looking but it sure wouldn't work out, decor wise, in my old house.

I talked to the inventor for quite a while at the show last year. Great concept......but the prototype had a long way to go. As a for-instance, it 100% needed a blower (fan) on the exhaust...outside the house in this case. That is extremely expensive to install and wire.

It is true that the noise of a pellet stove is another thing which if often not mentioned by the dealers and manufacturers. I think they should be tested as to the db sound level and that number published!

The guy who invented this stove had purchased a couple previous pellet stoves, but his wife made him remove them from the house because of the noise....so he decided to invent a quiet one.

If he would of bought a Mt Vernon this years model, just think he may not of tried to invent this thing. As the MT. Vernon is very quiet. I'm also sure this will lead to better technology and something much better then we presently have.

I think you are on to something there, Craig. It would really be nice for potential owners to have some idea of the noise level they can expect from a stove before they buy. A db reading is about the only practical way to do it. Thanks to what I'd read here I knew to expect a certain amount of noise from a pellet stove but I think a lot of buyers are unpleasantly surprised by this. Even if you are lucky enough to be able to hear one run in a showroom it's just not the same as hearing it in your own house so a db level would at least give people a way to compare the noise level to other known appliances to determine if they could live with the sound. Our stove seemed awful loud to us at first, but amazingly after a few days we really no longer notice it's normal sound.

BTW, as long as we're talking stove design....would it be possible to install some kind of chime or something to let you know when the flame has gone out? Since the blower continues to run for a period of time after the fire goes out I've been fooled several times into thinking that just because I could hear the stove that everything was fine only to discover that the pellets had bridged in the hopper and the fire was out. Not normally a big deal but when it happens in the middle of the night on a cold night the temperature in the house can certainly drop fast before you realize anything is wrong.

That stove looks really neat......

I Dont know how well it would go with my house but danged if I wouldnt of looked hard at it before buying a stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.