Rain and MORE Rain then more rain and then more rain, >>>>!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Last week it was some spring snow, now its raining again and the forcast is for rain all week.

Shut the Large Whitfield down mid week due to warmer temps, in fact Friday we shut the stoves off before we went to work and did not rekindle a fire until nearly midnight.

Been running the little whitfield the past two days and this is keeping the house at 70F.

I like this as we cut down the fuel consumption a bunch when the big stove is shut off.

Another month, maybe a tad more until we will be done with the stoves for the season.

At least the high temps are now up into the upper 50F range.

Really tired of the cold and wet, now its just WET.

Snowy

Temps are finally on the rise up here in new england. We could use some of that rain up here, brush fire danger is going up quickly. This newest severe weather outbreak is going to affect us up here for the next couple of days.

April showers bring May flowers. :)

Still got the stove cranking here and plan on it running till mid May! We have some showers coming in this evening. After a rough cold winter, I'm looking forward to a mellow spring. Boats ready for the water and the garden plant seeds are in the hot box. Once the garden is tilled and planted, My son and I are hoping for some good fishing weather. I can almost taste the fresh trout on the grill already! :)

Daffy's are finally open and the crocus's and tulips leaves are up! Going out to fertilize the lawn and do some flower bed racking. Hopefully get the garden tilled too. Then I'm ready to get fishing next Saturday!

Got the apple trees pruned yesterday, wearing a T-shirt instead of a coat. The sun was warm, the stove was shut down for the day - it doesn't get much better! Today is cloudy and 53º, but still nice. I'll take it!
The Crocuses are up, and the perennial garden is starting to show signs of life - spring in New England, almost enough to make surviving winter worth it! ………. Okay, it's worth it!

You can expect a lot of rain this year because i just bought a new motorcycle.Happened last time i did soooo.Heck might even snow.

When I lived in Bremerton, WA, it rained a lot and people always complained but I told them that the rain is what makes it so beautiful and green. Look at the brown hills of S. Californication. It's in the mid 80's for 3 days now so I guess I have to dig out the pellets from the stoves, empty the augers, and pull those puppies out for a spring cleaning.
I hate inserts!!! One thing I have learned with inserts is that they hide a lot of sins of installation. We get a lot of dust in the house and it turns out that the installers did a half ass job of mating the piping but, with an insert, you can't see it. The ash gets sucked up by the room blower. At first, we had some smoke smell on startup and I caulked as best I could without unhooking everything and got rid of the smell but, evidently, there's still enough of a leak to cause a layer of ash/dust which my wife just reminded me of AGAIN!!!! So, unless I want to speak with a higher pitch next fall, I better fix the problem. :)

We just had the warmest day here so far at 84. The wind is kicking up now and helping to dry some spots up. Not for long though, got more rain headed here this week. :-/
Took advantage of the day and shut stove down to do complete cleaning. Set it on auto so it can come on and off as needed, I'm sure there are some cooler nights to come yet. Still have 23 bags of pellets left so should make it. Hope you see some sun shine soon Snowy!!
Wow, see some sun shine soon Snowy, that's a mouth full ha.

Snowy,

I hope that you have some decent nut growing weather this year.

Up this way when I go to take care of the chickens I go squish, squish. Maybe a week of so of sun will help dry things out so I can till the garden (tons of compost and composted litter to dig in) and rake the lawn (what there is of it). Still have snow to melt but it is going fairly fast.

I removed the burlap wind guards that were around our broom today (not sure that one of them is going to amount to much this spring), but it looks like a lot of things made it through the winter fine.

The rhubarb part of strawberry and rhubarb jam is up above ground level.

Snow is melting real fast now. Still a few feet next to the hedge and where the drifts are. Have some areas with snow a couple of feet deep, but also a lot of open ground. Some crocuses are in full bloom. As the snow recedes, in less than 3 days, they pop up and bloom. Dog kennel now open so I don't have to put them in the crates when we go out.
Two days in a row that it made it above 60 F. Kids out riding bikes, and wearing shorts. Gives me hope that this horrid winter has left. Like Jay, we too can count on burning pellets right up to June. Run the stove early Pm until I get up in the Am (sunrise, love to sit with a cup of hot coffee and watch the sun come up) House stays really comfortable. ,
Picture not recent, but was taken in my garden 2 yrs ago and is like what is going on now.

Attachments

• crocusus 2.jpg
    crocusus 2.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 351
Yesssss indeed, a good nut season would be a real plus for sure.
Last year was a very low yield for the crop.

My big focus for this summer has got to be finding a large (5 yard) dumpster to store more shells in.

This spring is going to take the supply pretty well down, just hope I have enough to get by until the crop comes in and I can fill everything back up.

I have a fair pile left that I did not have room for dumped in the side yard.

Come summer, I am going to dry it out good and get it barreled up. This stuff should be just fine once its dry again.

Yesterday was windy with some rain off and on, then rain last night and more today.

Tomorrow is supposed to be mainly dry, then more rain for the rest of the week.

Snowy

Shhhh. Please keep all that rain up there in the Northwest corner. Don't need it here.
My crocuses already came and went by the end of last month.
Back yard cleaned up and ready for entertaining and what not.
Had a little time to put down a couple hundred on the scoot this weekend.
Haven't touched the bass boat yet but the kayak is always ready to go
at a moments notice. Still burning pellets tho because if I shut it down
the house goes down to 65F and I'm spoiled and like it at least 72F or higher.
rock_garden.jpg

micheles_firepit.jpg

shells.jpg

Peepers singing loudly. Must be spring! Thunder storm here today. Odd to have that with snow still hanging around. Stove still keeping us warm, but it soon will be time to open a few windows and let some fresh air in.

Went outside today, and discovered these peeping up towards the warm sun:

IMG_1870-1.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

The stove was off all day, and will be sleeping tonight. Something is missing without the fire going in the kitchen!

I hate rain and have wicked springtime alergies/pollen. worst time of the year for me for sure. memorial day to july 4th it feels like i have a mack truck on my face :(

miss burning season already. I have 2 bags of pellets left and about a half a bag in the stove. Saving it for any REAL cold nights that may pop up, otherwise i'm done burning for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.