Rain on frozen roads, AAARG

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Big mess in my driveway, ice rink.
It's raining, some snow mixed in.
38°f, road surfaces in the 20° range + rain = ice.
All unplowed packed snow roads will be iced over.
Gonna be a mess here.
But it's warm :)

Could not believe how warm it was last night when I got home. At least 20F, and the air had a texture to it like a caress--it had a body, a presence. . . hope that it doesn't get so warm that it melts here.

Last year at this time we had three days of rain, and we had a mess the rest of the winter. A few folks died down on the Parks because of the ice. Wishing you all the best, hoping folks slow down and take it easy and stay safe.

Turned to snow. Got about a 2" on top of the ice.
It's better than just ice. To happen again Sat & Sun.

Sounds nasty up there Dave.

I'd rather it not get over 30° all winter.
Lots of "ditch divers" on the roads today. :(
Sand trucks out in force.
Noaa Forecast:

Saturday: Snow likely before noon, then rain and snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 38. Breezy, with a east wind between 16 and 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Saturday Night: Rain likely before 9pm, then rain and snow likely between 9pm and midnight, then rain likely after midnight. Cloudy and breezy, with a low around 34. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

I thought you lived not far from me?

We didn't get any rain here or at work (Anchorage). Snowed 3-4" and was fairy warm (low 30s) but no rain and no ice yet. It's 26* right now. Was 87* in the house when I got home because the guy I rent to packed the stove right full like I showed him... Forgot to mention when it's warm out that 2-3 pieces is PLENTY!

bogydave said:
Gonna be a mess here.

NATE379 said:
I thought you lived not far from me?

No rain here, just snow. High temp at my house this afternoon was 32* Roads were fine when I went it to work this morning at around 6 and where still fine when I came home at around 5.

bogydave said:
Gonna be a mess here.

I never thought it was going to rain either, last I checked 28 degrees,
neighbor called & said look outside around 7 PM or so, Rain & 38°, freezing on the driveway & deck. An hour later wet snow rain mix then just snow.
Weather site had warnings out for freezing rain, for Palmer/Wasilla area till midnight. We got it. Yuck.

Lucky you,
Hope it misses you & me both Sat & Sun . :)

That was last night? I came home from work around 10PM and the roads where fine other than a bit of slush from the small amount of snow that had fell and it being fairly warm.

The weather here is weird though.

This summer I was working on something outside and needed a few parts. I head down to Lowe's, about 15 min drive and it's pouring rain there. Sky is almost black and the rain drops are so big it sounds like hail banging on the hood and roof of the trucl. Wipers on high and can barely see. I get what I need quick and haul back home to put my tools away. Never had any rain, was sunny and cloudless the rest of the day.

Just a couple weeks ago the bossman called me to go in so the guys could plow. They got like 8" of snow at work, nothing at all at my house, just ~40 miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.