Raising a glass to Neil Peart of Rush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

semipro

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2009
SW Virginia
Neil Peart, drummer and lyricist for the rock band Rush passed on Tuesday.
A part of my youth died with him.
I raise a glass (in my case a Margarita) to his memory and his contributions to the soul of rock.
I will miss him as will many others.

Another great one has passed. :-(

Last edited:
Reactions: AlbergSteve
:(
He was an amazing drummer - definitely someone who cared about his craft and one of the best.
Saw them in early '80's (Moving Pictues tour ?) in Philly (LOUD).
When you were young you assumed groups like this were the norm and they'd always be around.

I was surprised and saddened to hear this. Had not heard he had a health issue but then again he seems like he was a private kind of guy, not one to go on media tour to tell his story.

My childhood hero. :(
Both my sons are serious Rush fans. I'm glad they got to see him perform in a couple concerts.

Last edited:
I saw Rush during the Moving Pictures tour. Me and my friends were huge fans. All three members are great musicians w/ Neil being the standout.

Very sad news, almost had to stop the truck when I heard the news. Saw them in Vancouver 2011 Time Machine Tour, great show. Spent a lot of time on Youtube watching Neil's solos.

Reactions: semipro
My first CD was Rush - Moving Pictures. It was around 1992, I was 11 years old. Been listening to them ever since.

Currently listening to La Villa Strangiato...

My first CD was Rush - Moving Pictures. It was around 1992, I was 11 years old. Been listening to them ever since.

Currently listening to La Villa Strangiato...
I remember very vividly holding the vinyl version of this album in my hands for the first time (it was a friend's). While not the greatest album art, the music was fantastic. Limelight was great and Red Barchetta conjured imagery uncommon for lyrics alone.

I'm missing Rush and Neil tonight as I work my way through their contributions on youtube.

Reactions: Zack R and begreen
My sons' favorite band. They have seen them perform 3 times.

One of my favorite drummers. He was one of the first rock drummers who could use his 4 extremities each in a different rhythm at the same time. You need a knot in your brain to do that. Art Blakey was one of the first jazz drummers able to do that.

Reactions: begreen