raising fireplace floor to hearth height using clay bricks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benchwrench

Feeling the Heat
Sep 1, 2011
State of Confusion
Hi guys,

I have many questions regarding this new install even though finding a wealth of information using the search function here on Hearth.com, most posts date back to 2007.

I am in need of raising the floor of my masonry fireplace to the same height as the hearth so my insert will just s-l-i-d-e in place for this new insert install.
The difference is the thickness of a brick, In other words my hearth is higher than the firebox by 2 1/4"

Locally all I could find were clay bricks that had 3 large holes in them. I need to lay them on their side so all the holes will be facing up.
Is this adequate, this means having all these holes in clay brick used as a base to rest my new insert upon?
OR should I keep looking for another store that sells solid core bricks?
AND do they even need to be clay? Is "concrete" brick an option?

PS. I'll be posting some pictures of this install.

Furthermore; can I place a piece of sheet metal on top of the brick
to possibly help in the positioning of the insert
and ease of removal for maintenance?
is this advisable?

Yes and yes. The metal sheet will make it easier to slide the insert in. Also makes it easier to remove later on.

delp said:
why not just pour some cement and make a level surface?

Because pouring cement in one's living room is not as simple, cheap, or easy as carrying in a few dozen bricks and laying them out? ;-)

Don't ask me how I know this.

Well, i won't ask, but I will tell that I did this (8 bags x 80lbs) this spring. It was not pretty, but was the best solution to my particular situation; and, was a solution that gestated right here on hearth.com....It sounds like the OP's situation consists of a much smaller area than I dealt with. With the right type of planning and preparation, almost any project can be tamed and contained. Regardless, I hope the OP finds the best and most enduring solution!

Milt said:
delp said:
why not just pour some cement and make a level surface?

Because pouring cement in one's living room is not as simple, cheap, or easy as carrying in a few dozen bricks and laying them out? ;-)

Don't ask me how I know this.

I did exactly this a year ago when we installed our stove, and had no problem at all.

I just carried 3 x 2 gallon buckets of wet concrete very carefully across our carpet (covered in a plastic sheet) and poured away.

All I'd say is I did it whilst Mrs woodchip was out at the shops, and it was all tidy before she got home ;-)

I'm surprised you can't source solid bricks in your area. If you use the metal it won't much matter, but if you choose to go w/out it would look much better being solid I would think.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.