ran into two trees and over one on the way home last night . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowleopard

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2009
. . . in the tradition of the "Blood Everywhere!!!" title for a thread.

Mighty storm here yesterday/last night. Have never seen a storm like that inland, although I bet you folks in the praries get them. This blew in from Siberia, across the Bering Strait, and just kept coming. Winds up to 50mph (I was home by then). I live a mile off the highway on a just-two-cars-wide access road. Three trees had blown over onto the road--once was laying down, and two of them were about windshield height. I had to build up some momentum to get uphill through snowdrifts, and just when I had my speed up, WHACK!--smacked into the top of what had been a standing dead poplar but was no more. Fortunately, I wasn't going that fast, and my old beater didn't show any wear and tear for it.

And yes, my first thought was: FIREWOOD! and my second was "but I don't have a saw, and I need to get off the road here."

A project for another day or another scrounger.

The ridge of my house is a little higher than the ridge I live along--we're tucked just under the south side. Could not believe the way that the wind was roaring--it was at shout-to-be-heard-above-it volume. The trees were whipping unbelievably. Left my porch light on in case any other travelers failed to make it up the hill all the way.

If I never needed that stovepipe damper another night, it paid its way last night. When I had it open, I could hear the wind roaring over the stovepipe above. Temps are supposed to drop today and stay cold (-20 or so) until the end of the week. This week opened up with an 18 inch drop of snow over the weekend and ended with a storm like this. What a week! So glad I have a woodstove.

Wow! And I've been feeling sorry for myself for another foot of snow yesterday, wind gusts to 40 last night and nighttime temps down around zero.

You guys are *tough* up there! Glad you're all right. Not a drive I'd want to have to make.

snowleopard said:
. . . in the tradition of the "Blood Everywhere!!!" title for a thread.
HAHA! And your story was much more exciting than a scratch from a raspberry thorn!

We had some serious winds blow through here the other night (60mph gusts) but luckily the trees stood their ground and they're weren't alot of outages.

A few years ago i was driving in a nasty storm when a big pine fell and almost smashed the car in front of me but i had no choice other than hit it. Luckily i was in my lifted diesel pickup and blew the tree apart with no damage to the truck. Got out the saw, cut it into sections and rolled it off the road. A trooper pulled up and rolled his window down with a big ol grin and said "thanks for helpin me not get wet".

Wow. That sounds like a big time storm! Glad you made it home okay and probably about now you are out there cutting some firewood and opening up the lane too.

Status
Not open for further replies.