Random Notes from USFS Chainsaw Training Course

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I attended a two day training course to get certified to run a chainsaw on ferderally administered lands this weekend. As I found out, a lot of the weekend was breaking old habits and when I thought about the proper mthods taught in the course they made sense.

One thing that was a surprise is that there are couple of standards for chainsaw chaps. My perfectly good looking pair which were bought around 1998 are way out of date. The various standards are related to saw chain speed, the chaps have been uprated to accomodate faster saws.

The two bad habits I need to get rid of are,

Not using the chainbrake. Bascially, if I am not arent actively cutting through a piece of wood, the brake should be on. Its a PITA initially, but once you get used to it its not bad.

Not wrapping my thumb under the handle. I usually wrap my thumb when sawing vertical, but when I switch to a horizontal cut I was placing my thumb on top of the handle possibly to try to control the saw from tipping. Basically, the tip of the thumb should be touching the index finger when holding the saw handle.

Some interesting statistics are that the majority of tree felling accidents occur within 20 feet of a tree. The forest service requires that once the tree starts falling, the sawyer needs to move at least 20 feet away from the tree. A common mistake is stopping too close and watching the tree come down.

The various cutting techniques were basic and oriented towards trail maintenance. The technique used for dealing with spring poles has changed for the better. The prior method of making several shallow cuts under the pole has been replaced by shaving the compression side of the pole at a 45 degree angle, so that when the pole does break if breaks away from the sawyer. I always considered open faced wedges and borecutting was for problem trees but it is a superior method as the tree falls when the sawyer wants it to. One of the participants did a bore cut and had to stop when the tree didnt drop, while we were discussing the cut, some steep wind gusts came up and despite the tree being held by two strips of wood about 1.5 inches wide on either side of the trunk, the tree stayed up until we were ready to drop it with wedges.

The technique of doing a Z cut to eliminate tension in branches that are supporting the trunk of the tree off the ground was also a slick technique.

Overall, the majority of the techniques are designed to slow down key portions of a cut so that the wood moves in a controlled manner. It doesnt really slow down the progress once the sawyer gets some practice, but it sure cuts down on "surprises".

Overall, I would highly recommend the course, only about two thirds of the course is hands on, the rest is classroom, but the classroom portion is handy for making sure that the sawyer has their "ducks in a row" before they enter the woods. The training manual is available on line for free http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/php/library_card.php?p_num=0667 2C01, but it doesnt reflect some of the new techniques.

Before I am legal I have to find a red cross CPR and first aid course.

Nice, and good for you for taking the time and effort to do it. Something that most of us would probably benefit from.

Not using the chainbrake. Bascially, if I am not arent actively cutting through a piece of wood, the brake should be on. Its a PITA initially but once you get used to it its not bad.

I'm good here, from day one I've always used teh chain brake. Just made sense to me that if I'm not actively cutting, I probably don't want the chain moving...and the only way to stop it without shutting the saw on is to apply the brake.

Not wrapping my thumb under the handle. I usually wrap my thumb when sawing vertical, but when I switch to a horizontal cut I was placing my thumb on top of the handle possibly to try to control the saw from tipping. Basically, the tip of the thumb should be touching the index finger when holding the saw handle.

I can't imagine feeling like I have an adequate grip on the saw without wrapping my thumb around the front handle.

Thanks for sharing!

I cringe every time I see someone start a saw with the chainbrake released or walk around with the chain spinning and the idle adjusted too high. Check out youtube, there are countless "cold start" (What is the big deal if it's a 'cold start?') videos of people drop-starting saws that fire up and go 1/2 throttle with the chain spinning wildly. Glad to see you took the time for professional safety instruction.

P.S. I usually drop-start saws (always with the brake locked!) unless they do not have chainbrakes and then it's a foot-in-handle start. Pivoting the saw to lock the chainbrake after each cut just becomes habit after years of practice!

Glad you liked he course and sounds like some good advice. I too like to keep my thumb on top of the bar and have been working hard to break that habit.

wendell said:
Glad you liked he course and sounds like some good advice. I too like to keep my thumb on top of the bar and have been working hard to break that habit.

I've heard that grip called the "monkey grip" if it helps dissuade you.

I can't imagine feeling like I have an adequate grip on the saw without wrapping my thumb around the front handle.
Same here. It would be like riding a bicycle and holding the handlebars with no thumb wrap. It just would not feel right to me.

Cheers

MasterMech said:
I cringe every time I see someone start a saw with the chainbrake released or walk around with the chain spinning and the idle adjusted too high. Check out youtube, there are countless "cold start" (What is the big deal if it's a 'cold start?') videos of people drop-starting saws that fire up and go 1/2 throttle with the chain spinning wildly. Glad to see you took the time for professional safety instruction.

P.S. I usually drop-start saws (always with the brake locked!) unless they do not have chainbrakes and then it's a foot-in-handle start. Pivoting the saw to lock the chainbrake after each cut just becomes habit after years of practice!

Whenever the saw is idling I have the chainbrake engaged.That means walking a few feet with it or when its on the ground by itself for a minute when I'm doing other stuff.

No problem drop-starting the wee Echo or the Super 380.That ain't a happenin' with the 475 or the 288XP though,even with the decompression button.

peakbagger said:
The technique of doing a Z cut to eliminate tension in branches that are supporting the trunk of the tree off the ground was also a slick technique.
Either I'm not familiar with this method, or just the term, could you elaborate?

The Z cut is used when the log is sitting roughly horizontally and a branch is pointing downwards at some angle to the trunk. The branch is holding the tree up and if removed the trunk would drop. Therefore this branch is the under load and cutting it will cause an un controlled movement of the tree and branch. The upper part of the branch is under compression the bottom part is under tension. The Z cut is intended to slowly remove the tension. The first cut is on the compression side of the branch parallel to the trunk, on the "crotch" side of the branch. This is a shallow cut and its important to pull back the bar out of the cut as soon as it starts to bind. The second cut is about 1 to 2" below on the tension side coming from the opposite direction. As you cut into the tree, the branch will start splitting along its axis and the tree will slowly drop. The branch is "locked in" by the remaining wood grain untill all the branch is no longer under load. When you are done a "z" will be formed with the top and bottom sawcuts forming to tthe top and bottom of the Z and the split in the wood forming the slash of the z.

Danno77 said:
peakbagger said:
Either I'm not familiar with this method, or just the term, could you elaborate?
+1

Either the method or new to me, or I've just never heard the term before, but either way I want to hear more. Eliminating tension on branches that are supporting the trunk of a tree is of great benefit to me and many here.

ETA, found the manual. On the side bar click "Safety and Health", then scroll about 2/3 of the way down. You are looking for the manual 0667 2C01, titled "Chainsaw and Crosscut Saw Training Course".

peakbagger said:
The Z cut is used when the log is sitting roughly horizontally and a branch is pointing downwards at some angle to the trunk. The branch is holding the tree up and if removed the trunk would drop. Therefore this branch is the under load and cutting it will cause an un controlled movement of the tree and branch. The upper part of the branch is under compression the bottom part is under tension. The Z cut is intended to slowly remove the tension. The first cut is on the compression side of the branch parallel to the trunk, on the "crotch" side of the branch. This is a shallow cut and its important to pull back the bar out of the cut as soon as it starts to bind. The second cut is about 1 to 2" below on the tension side coming from the opposite direction. As you cut into the tree, the branch will start splitting along its axis and the tree will slowly drop. The branch is "locked in" by the remaining wood grain untill all the branch is no longer under load. When you are done a "z" will be formed with the top and bottom sawcuts forming to tthe top and bottom of the Z and the split in the wood forming the slash of the z.
Darn! (thanks for the clarification) I was hoping for some new magic trick that could really help. This is how I do it already, and I hate it.

I can't get that link to work but would love to see that training manual. Any chance you can double check that link and correct it, if need be? I did a search and came up empty.

If you search on google for USFS chainsaw and crosscut training manual 2006 it should come up.

Yeah, the forum doesn't like spaces in links that we post
Instead of that space, the link I tried to post has a percent sign then 20 which apparently I cant't type either

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/php/library_card.php?p_num=06672C01

lets try this..never mind

This is the title of what i think we are looking for. You can search it from the page the link gets you...

Chain Saw and Crosscut Saw Training Course

Search for just saw or training and you get some more options for your edumacation...

Thanks for trying to fix the link. With Google search it pops up in a lot of locations.

Do note, we barely even looked at the manual during the class but we were requested to read through it prior to the class. The manual tends to be long on text. The training manual is inevitably oriented to several types of users. The group I was in was for Appalachian Trail maintainers. Trail maintenance mostly involves blowdowns across the trail and spring poles. Not a lot of live trees get dropped and the options of where to drop them are limited. Our course was oriented to this type of work which is going to be far different than clearcutting woods.

Chain brake? Hmmm.

Let's see if my Wild Thing has one. Doesn't seem to.

This may be a good reason/excuse to be thinking about a new chainsaw...

JV_Thimble said:
Chain brake? Hmmm.

Dont get me wrong chain brakes are great but I would never buy a new saw just for that, I have a 045 Stihl I bought in 1979 and still use it on a regular basis, as long as you follow all the other saftey rules. By the way I have 2 other saws that have chain brakes and do not feel any safer when using them even though I probably am.

oldspark said:
JV_Thimble said:
Chain brake? Hmmm.

Dont get me wrong chain brakes are great but I would never buy a new saw just for that, I have a 045 Stihl I bought in 1979 and still use it on a regular basis, as long as you follow all the other saftey rules. By the way I have 2 other saws that have chain brakes and do not feel any safer when using them even though I probably am.

Sounds true enough. Probably better to take the course than to buy a new saw.

Thanx for the info Peak,,,,,and the link...good info...safety first.....

Status
Not open for further replies.