Rangeley 50 TL with big grate.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bub381

Minister of Fire
Feb 4, 2011
Mid-coast Maine
Looking for the best way to keep some ash for a good bed. Possibly a partial steel plate? Anybody have a prob keeping ash in the stove? Sounds odd doesn't it?

You talking about laying a steel plate over the ash grate slots? What about just letting the ash pan fill up? You can always shovel out the ash if you want a deeper ash bed.

That's 1 way, Right!. Now i know why some of the fellas here don't mind not having an ash pan.

All i wanted to know, good idea.Thanks.

Today must be my lucky day. %-P I'll get a box in the mail.lol

Have you actually run this stove yet? The reason I ask is that with the Oslo there are fairly decent sized openings in the grate, but as long as you're not overly zealous in stirring the ashes every time you load up the stove and you don't empty the ashes out of the firebox every day you will most likely find that the larger coals will stay on top and just the fine ash will drop down . . . at least that should be the case if the grate is similar to the one in the Oslo.

I never empty the ash pan on this stove and it runs much better this way.. It will not hurt anything plus I leave an inch in the stove.. It's easy to shovel the stove and makes less mess than dealing with the ash pan..

Ray

I've read that ash can cause the overheating and warping of the grate.

Bub381 said:

Where did you read that?

To be truthful,i've done so much research i can't remember where.So there's no truth in it?

No i have not run this stove,i never thought to compare with the Oslo cause i was going with the Castine at 1st.When i stepped up to the Rangeley (to do some researching) i never thought to look at the Oslo.There was 1 there though,i just never looked inside. You know we had a wood stove growing up and i thought i knew something about stoves. I never knew this new world of stoves was this much different. Alot to learn yet.

Bub381 said:

Sounds like BS to me! If anything the opposite is true and it protects the stove bottom.. Ash acts as an insulator and will prolong the life of the bottom of your stove..

Ray

Well that sounds right to me. I'll see if i can find the piece i read. It has been awhile and i spent months lookin into this stuff.May have been someone who thought they knew more than they actually did.Is this why they say to put sand in the bottoms of certain stoves. Meaning the 1's that will hold it. I had an old Glenwood C that they said to put a layer of sand on top of the oven. Never hooked it up due to Ins reasons.I figured it helped hold the heat more evenly whereas the heat passed around the oven.

This came from a coal stove chat.

When do I have to remove the ashes from the ash pan?

Remove and empty the ash pan as soon as it is full. If hot coals are in the ash pan, let the coal cool completely before disposal of ash. Do not let the ash build up to the grate level as this will warp and damage the grate

(They were talking about coal stoves in this add.May be a difference from wood.)

I think you'll find that having ash in the ash pan and in the firebox base in a woodstove is a good thing . . . helps insulate the base of the stove, helps preserve coals, etc. . . . now abour warping the grate . . . keeping the ash pan door open is one "good" way of doing that.

I'm thinking that you need to spend more time here Bub and less time at those coal stove chatrooms . . . :) ;)

10-4 on the coal chat.lol Prob just what they did, the dreaded opening of the ashpan door for for that wicked good draft.

Opposite of most wood stoves, coal stoves actually need an air supply under the coal bed. Their grate systems are usually a different design from wood stoves. Their grates are much more stout and set up with a riddling or shaker system for dropping ash and clinkers into the ash pan. In a coal stove, when the ash reaches grate height, the stove functions poorly because the air supply is cut off from the bottom of the fuel bed.

As a counterpoint, when burning in Castine, I'd let the ash build up almost to the doghouse before emptying, and then I usually would just scoop it out to grate level so that there was still a good bed of ash under the fire.

Sounds like the way to go.I understand how an ash pan could actually be a hindrance,in this circumstance anyways.I do see what they meant about mainly the fine stuff will sift out and i believe the bigger stuff will help keep some of the fine ash on rhe grate anyways. Was just afraid of warping the grate. I see now how important ash is in a stove. Thanks. Still learning, now to remember it all. :eek:hh:

FF Jake. i believe the grate is a bunch of 1/4" by 3" diagonal and parallel slits.Roughly speaking.

Prob the same grate as the Oslo.

Yup, no worries, very easy to get some ash to fall through the grate and still leave plenty on top.

The rep from Jotul whom spoke to me about my purchase of the Rangeley said that many people just fill the ash pan up with sand, then allow the small amount of ash to fill the grate. Then they just shovel out the ash as necessary. He's also the feller whom told me that the plating was 3/8" BeGreen, so I will measure it when I have a chance. 1/4" is fine, but 3/8" is what I was told by the rep. Should have gotton a card from him. Oh well......another mistake of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.