Rangeley secondary burn tube question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jb4020

Nov 21, 2009
SE PA
I really appreciate all the help i've gotten on here with my new stove! I have another question though. Tonight i was running the stove and had the temp at 650 and i looked in the firebox and saw the front burn tube and baffle glowing red is this normal it scared me at first? Also it seems that its always the back tubes that have flames coming out more often not the very front one? Any ideas thanks alot!

Normal. The tube behind it is blowing fire into the back of it and getting it hot. Happens a lot. Glows at 1,200 degrees but stainless melts around 2,500 and the tube has air moving through it anyway.

Same happened here,i wondered if the front tube being way forward of the others is for airwash.

Front and middle air tubes on my liberty glow cherry red for LONG periods of time. Last year when the stove was installed and the tubes started to glow for the first time is scared the sh** out of me. Now when they are glowing I know that I got a good hot clean burn going on.

Thanks makes me feel much better knowing its normal. Bub 381 did you use the bottom heat shield on your stove? Mine broke trying to put it on and the dealer said i only needed it in an alcove install. Just wondering

We have not had our Rangely over 500 , so we will keep a lookout for red baffles when we get hotter. We did not install the bottom heat shield on our stove.

Long as a couple of you Rangeley owners are here, let me ask:

Are you using the top load feature, or going old style through the front door to load?

I ask because I like the stove...without the top load. I am wondering if you bought one to use as a top-loader, or if the design of the stove itself was your primary reason for buying?

I, for one, am hoping Jotul builds a variant without top-load. I like the welded steel firebox, secondary burn, and cast iron accents.

The top loading feature as well as large firebox were the main reasons we decided on the Rangely. Never having a top loader before, we thought it would be a good idea. However , after getting used to to stove , we feel that the top loading feature may not be such a good idea. Although the Rangely has a large firebox, it is not too high. It seems that a higher firebox would be a good idea with a top loader.
It could possibly be a hazard. Take this scenario. You already have wood in the stove and are putting a large or irregular piece on top, this piece could get jammed.

Yikes !!!!!! The top will not go down !!!!! Then what.
So up until now, we put up with abit of ash spillage out the front door and load from the front where wood can easily be placed and adjusted with a poker or tongs.
If we were to buy again and if the Rangely offered only a front loader, this is what we would buy.

Breton B,you took the words out of my mouth,although i think if 1 did jam and had the baffle part way up i don't think it would hurt anything.This stove with about a 3" higher firebox would be great.Maybe this new front load only Rangeley i've heard about would be awesome.We haven't used topload once and it was a big reason we bought it.I also have taken the andirons out for loading of larger logs.7" clearance over andirons and with them removed i have 10".Without top loading i feel comfortable loading without them but i am careful loading and sometimes just hook my front log in behind the the back of the door frame.Those logs aren't gonna be falling forward with a huge force.Now i do this and it doesn't make it right or safe.Use your own discretion.(SP) Yes i did use the shield,i want all the protection i can get.I have used the Gun under the stove while burning and it was 64 degrees.Only fault with this stove so far,i'd like a higher firebox but i have big splits because i cut this wood to my old Vigilant's spec's. Oh, and the roll away door handle they supposedly have reconfigured.

I agree about the firebox being deep but not high enough it is a hassle sometimes when i really want to load it up. Now that we have some cold weather i've been using on the topload and if find it to work well. I grew up using a vermont castings top load stoves so i really wanted a stove with this feature. Also as to the front handle i hope Jotul does not charge alot because that would be nice to have. What kind of burn times are you Rangeley owners getting?

jb4020 said:
I agree about the firebox being deep but not high enough it is a hassle sometimes when i really want to load it up. Now that we have some cold weather i've been using on the topload and if find it to work well. I grew up using a vermont castings top load stoves so i really wanted a stove with this feature. Also as to the front handle i hope Jotul does not charge alot because that would be nice to have. What kind of burn times are you Rangeley owners getting?

Do you load your wood North South or East West ? When the baffle is open the opening is very narrow (approx 6 inches wide by 16 inches long ). It seems to me that it would be impossible to place wood in a N/S direction. I believe Vermont Casting has a very large opening and this would not be a problem. We are getting 8-10 hour burns. Of course that only means enough hot coals to be able to throw a few sticks in to get a good fire going. No need for kindling ect.

N/S but don't use top.9 hr and the best is 11.Enough coals to start from.My wood is big and i can only get 2 to 3 splits in.My fault for splitting it that way.I think i'd get better times with smaller wood because i could get alot more wood in it.I agree on the bigger top load opening on VC.As far as the handle goes i've called the stove place twice and e-mailed and i haven't got a call back yet.

Frostbit said:
Long as a couple of you Rangeley owners are here, let me ask:

Are you using the top load feature, or going old style through the front door to load?

I ask because I like the stove...without the top load. I am wondering if you bought one to use as a top-loader, or if the design of the stove itself was your primary reason for buying?

I, for one, am hoping Jotul builds a variant without top-load. I like the welded steel firebox, secondary burn, and cast iron accents.
Looks like you're in luck then... see here- https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/87591/

+1 on the front tube glowing a bit. Most 300 series stainless retains it's corrosion resistance to 1800+ Degrees and melting point is far beyond that as BrotherBart pointed out.

I've been loading my wood e/w through the top load as it will not fit n/s. I could probably get more in if i loaded with the front but i've been getting pretty consistent 10 hour burn that restart easily with kindling.

I have been loading E/W mainly but what burns better is N/S so i burn that way now with what will fit that way.Burns better.

Status
Not open for further replies.