Ranger XP and log arch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisg

Sep 6, 2007
NEK VT
Wanted to share some pics of how we skid out our firewood off the land. The arch is homemade that I bought from a friend who low impact logged for yrs with it behind a polaris atv. I put a 4000lb winch on it and I am always amazed at how well it works. It will literally rip most average sized hard wood trees right out tops and all. If I get a real big one I will take 16' sections off to make them a little more manageable. Hope know one minds lots of pics. I always enjoy looking at everyone elses so I thought I would load em right up.

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

Thats cool.......

I'm jealous

Very nice set up!!!!!!!!

I like the idea of an arch to drag the logs to a processing area. Makes your ranger even more useful, and is easier on it. I know I put a lot of wood in the bed of my Kubota, and sooner or later the bed will need to be replaced.

SEWEAT!
That design is now on my "to do" list.
Heavy duty.
Thanks for the pictures, I may copy the basic design.

That is a well engineered arch. Only thing eyed do dif is add a butt plate on that cross member and a short chain to keep the log from swinging back and taking weight off the hitch which wood also enable you to hitch the log lower for better gravity center.

exactLEE said:
That is a well engineered arch. Only thing eyed do dif is add a butt plate on that cross member and a short chain to keep the log from swinging back and taking weight off the hitch which wood also enable you to hitch the log lower for better gravity center.

Are you saying on the axle cross member, & chain it down low so the pulling force of the log is kept down low?

Butt plate on the cross member that forms the letter A.
A short chain horizontaLEE from that cross member to hook to the verticle hitching chain to eliminate the "cyloptic pendulum effect"!

exactLEE said:
Butt plate on the cross member that forms the letter A.
A short chain horizontaLEE from that cross member to hook to the verticle hitching chain to eliminate the "cyloptic pendulum effect"!

Aah., on the bottom "A" frame cross member

Forget the tools and sh$%, just look at that score of Yellow Birch.

WB

Very handy .... maybe I need ine of those.

Thanks for all the compliments.
The whole winch on top of the arch was kinda one of those "well lets see how this will work and how long will it last before it breaks moments". Well as it turns out it has worked way way beyond my expectations,going on third yr with it.
Yes I do agree I need to make some mods and any suggestions are welcome. I like the idea of the butt plate/support because I have been a little worried that a log is going to slam into the back of the machine. I would also like to mount the winch down low towards the front of the arch angled up with the cable either going thru a pully block or over a roller of some sort because it puts a lot of stress on the bottom of the fairlead the way it is now. A different hitch is in order also as that is the one thing that has broke twice now,it breaks the bottom tang off the hitch if I drop way down in a ditch and sort of pinch/fold the machine and the arch together. I need some sort of swivel hitch that articulates up an down and side to side.Chris

The hitch part should be easy all my attachments have gone to ball hitches. Gives you the articulation you need without the worry of bending the finger plates and breaking.

Chrisg said:
I would also like to mount the winch down low towards the front of the arch angled up with the cable either going thru a pully block or over a roller of some sort because it puts a lot of stress on the bottom of the fairlead the way it is now.

That high angle is key to keep the butt end of the log from hanging up while winching. Seems like it would be cheaper to beef up the frame than come up with hardware that wouldn't fail with the cable running through it.

"with the cable either going thru a pully block or over a roller of some sort "
Either of these would be placed where the winch is now so the high angle would be maintained. I just want a little better angle on the cable as it feeds into the winch. The way I have winch now is a little halfassed on there, but it does work and I think the if it isnt broke dont fix it mentality is keeping me from messing with it.
I suppose that just fabbing up a different mount plate that would give the proper angle to the winch would be best becuase if I was to mount it low toward the front there is a chance the wires might get snagged and debris might get in to the winch.
Ya know in regards to the ballhitch... I guess I never even considered that. Good call.
Chris

fyrwoodguy said:
we should start a thread of ATV logger's......don't you think?
Nice gear. Shame though to waste it on Pine and Poplar.

Woodguy that cherry picker for behind an atv is great. I always admire that rig everytime it pops up. Is it pretty stable when loaded?

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.