rate my wood pile...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
after having no wood for my first year, i have this wood cut and split since spring.
most was standing dead trees so it was fairly dry to begin with.
what do you guys think?
roys_fuel.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

Looks like you have been a busy man! I think you have more in your garage than I have in my entire stockpile...then again, this is my first year. I should get by with what I have.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing!

I'd rate it pretty darn good but I hope it all didn't come home in the trunk of the BMW.

SolarAndWood said:
I'd rate it pretty darn good but I hope it all didn't come home in the trunk of the BMW.

haha, not a chance.
transport vehicle is a GMC sierra 2500 HD
im thinking i will burn all that and then some this year.

i give it a 10. the wood in the garage looks like it makes life easier when the weather gets tough. i need to have some in mine too. maybe this summer ill make a space for a half cord or so. pete

heatwise said:
i give it a 10. the wood in the garage looks like it makes life easier when the weather gets tough. i need to have some in mine too. maybe this summer ill make a space for a half cord or so. pete

yea wood in the garage makes life very easy.
having a 3 car garage helps too.
the only problem is bugs and rodents.
ever since i got those sonic pest deterrent things. i have not had a single mouse.shrew nest in my wood pile in the garage. last winter i had to have a LOT of snap traps, but when i caught a chipmunk i decided i needed a better method(i like chipmunks)

i screen wood coming in for ants and bugs, last year i also had a few splits that had ants, which made me very nervous, as i do not want them taking up residence in my home or inside the walls for that matter.

This is like "hot or not", but for woodpiles.

In that case, I'd rate it as "hot" or "yes, I would burn that wood".
Nice looking stacks. I've always liked the between the trees method.
It blends in better with the landscape that way.

Looks great what kind of wood is it? And what kind of trees are those it is stacked against. Just curios. You get a 10 for first year.

cptoneleg said:
Looks great what kind of wood is it? And what kind of trees are those it is stacked against. Just curios. You get a 10 for first year.

wood is a mix of everything except soft woods.
mostly ash, elm, and a few others(i still suck ad ID'ind trees)
one row not shown is pine.

the trees it is against are pine trees.

Pine , ok hard to tell looked like, well looked like they had no ( leaves, no green) didn't look like an evergreen.

Great looking pile. I like the garage for storage. Does that mean the BMW sits outside all winter?
What are you using to carry wood in - by the arm load, or do you have a carrier? I use a plastic garbage can - nice handles, light, cheap.
Happy burning.

maplewood said:
Great looking pile. I like the garage for storage. Does that mean the BMW sits outside all winter?
What are you using to carry wood in - by the arm load, or do you have a carrier? I use a plastic garbage can - nice handles, light, cheap.
Happy burning.

i haul the wood inside with one of those wood satchels, its got two handles and can bundle about 10 splits.
works perfect. load the pickup truck at my buddies property where i store the wood, then drive the truck into the garage and unload 3' from the pile.
makes unloading much more pleasant, and i can convince my wife to help unload then as it is "indoors"

par0thead151 said:
i haul the wood inside with one of those wood satchels, its got two handles and can bundle about 10 splits.

I used to use one of those - then I found a plastic tote that is the same dimensions as my firebox. If it fits in the tote - it fits in the box. The debris is also better contained. Just throwing it out there.

Nice looking newby stacks. ;-P

Heck - its better than mine look - and I have been doing it for a while.
10 for 10 using your initial 1 point newby credit.

Edit: your not really a newby at this point - but I needed a reason to use your 1 point credit to balance your account out.

Jags said:
par0thead151 said:

I used to use one of those - then I found a plastic tote that is the same dimensions as my firebox. If it fits in the tote - it fits in the box. The debris is also better contained. Just throwing it out there.

Nice looking newby stacks. ;-P

Heck - its better than mine look - and I have been doing it for a while.
10 for 10 using your initial 1 point newby credit.

Edit: your not really a newby at this point - but I needed a reason to use your 1 point credit to balance your account out.

only 1 point credit?
i was also training for a Ironman Triathlon this past winter, spring and summer.
the only day i could cut wood was mondays, the only day of the week i was not biking, running swimming or a combo of the three after work(totaling 1.5-3 hours week days and 3-5 hours on weekends)

my wood pile will be much much much larger come next year.
i want to be one of those guys who is 7 years ahead.
i just hope i dont burn out with all the wood cutting, splitting and stacking before i attain that goal

par0thead151 said:
only 1 point credit?

Yes - that is an automatic credit given to those who choose to process their own firewood.

Jags said:
par0thead151 said:
only 1 point credit?

Yes - that is an automatic credit given to those who choose to process their own firewood.

if i did not get my wood for free(less cost of labor, fuel for the saw & splitter, and the sunk cost of buying my saw) the wood stove wouldnot make economic sense.
however i do like the added heat it provides, and my great dane LOVES the thing. she will sprawl out in front of it all day so long as there is wood burning away in there.

my stove should pay for itself within 3 years max. that was estimating a 75% savings by using the stove.
as of right now i have yet to turn on my natural gas furnace. so im thinking i will have everything paid off within 4 years total. saw, blades, tools, chaps, helmet, etc.

[quote author="par0thead151" date="1292230309"]after having no wood for my first year, i have this wood cut and split since spring.
most was standing dead trees so it was fairly dry to begin with.
what do you guys think?

I think the stacks look great, looks like you'll need more so get back to work cutting. :zip:

zap

Looks good to me. Sounds good to with all that training! That is not easy.

You've got enough kindling for a few lifetimes. Any pictures of your actual firewood?

I'm impressed. My total logpile now measures just 3/4 of a cord, of which half was felled last Spring, that will be for next winter, so I only have about 1/4 cord in my indoor store.

Just hoping we don't get a winter like you guys....... ;-)

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
You've got enough kindling for a few lifetimes. Any pictures of your actual firewood?

Your sarcasm is dripping with creosote - boiler man. :zip:

Status
Not open for further replies.