RE: Floor leveling cement and copper pipes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
I poured some floor leveling cement the other day . . . and now realize that I may have made a mistake. Will the cement "eat" away the copper pipe coming up to the radiators?

firefighterjake said:
I poured some floor leveling cement the other day . . . and now realize that I may have made a mistake. Will the cement "eat" away the copper pipe coming up to the radiators?

Jake, if its the leveler you used is portland cement based you may have a problem. I've read that portland cement concrete is alkaline and corrosive to copper. I was adding an outside water faucet to my house and it needed to penetrate a stone wall so I had to put it in a plastic sleeve.

But, thinking out loud here, for corrosion to occur on metal you need an electrolyte (usually water) present. If the interface between the pipe and floor will always be dry you might have nothing to worry about. If it was a cold water pipe I'd be worried but since its hot water for the radiators....

Status
Not open for further replies.