RE: Hi Pellet People . . . Wood burner here looking for suggestions for friend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Firefighterjake here . . . I don't often stop by here, but I'm trying to help out a friend who is considering a pellet stove and I figured you guys would be a good help and get me started with a few potential ideas (and save me a bit of time and research.)

My friend is looking for a pelletstove that would heat a 900 square foot home -- modern construction. She says she wants a reliable stove and it should look "pretty" -- I am assuming she is talking about wanting a glass viewing area and not a pelletstove that is hot pink and has ribbons holding it together instead of welds or bolts.

Any suggestions?

Is there a budget? Is she handy or will she need a dealer install ? These answers will help narrow down the options,if she has access to the web she should read the sticky posts in this form ie stove mait. ect.

I think the first question is "what does she have to spend"????

900 sqft shouldn't require much more than 40K to 50K(gross) I'd have her stay on the larger end to help give the wood stove feel and have plenty of top end to get through the cold spells without using any other heat source. Bigger is better IMHO and these puppies run fine on the lower heat ranges. Running them full boar is tough on these units inner components. Staying in the about 75% range will make them last.

Some units with the wood stove look are:

Harman XXV

Enviro M55 Cast *

St Croix Greenfield *

St Croix Hastings

Regency Hampton GC60 *

Quadrafire Castile(but on the small size)

*= Multifuel which is very pellet friendly, along with other fuels that might be available. I personally think multifuel stoves are worth the little added cost they carry. They are far less pellet picky and burn about any pellet out there with less hassle than the standard stoves. Self cleaning burnpot offers more time between burnpot cleaning by the stove user.

I think the best advice you can give her is for you to look around for a dealer or two with solid reputations. Then go with her and keep an eye and ear open. A good dealer will answer all of her and your questions and be able to back up what he is saying. You also might want to invite her to join in on this forum. So often we hear after the fact, "If I had known then what I know now after being on this forum for a while....."
Best for her to enter into this with what can be supported in her area, and for her to be informed about what she is getting into.
She is lucky to have a friend like you who is willing to help. Enjoy the hunt!

smoke show said:
Is she gonna need dealer support?

I get the impression she has friends or is willing to tackle simple projects . . . maybe hire someone to do the install.

will711 said:
Is there a budget? Is she handy or will she need a dealer install ? These answers will help narrow down the options,if she has access to the web she should read the sticky posts in this form ie stove mait. ect.

I suspect there is a budget . . . but she didn't say . . . will most likely either have a sweep or dealer do the install . . .

firefighterjake said:
smoke show said:
Is she gonna need dealer support?

I get the impression she has friends or is willing to tackle simple projects . . . maybe hire someone to do the install.
In that case, Don't forgot about a Englander. Good stoves, great prices, good tech support.

http://www.englanderstoves.com

Status
Not open for further replies.