RE: Left over wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
I was taking some pics the other day . . . figured I would snap a pic of my woodshed in the Spring . . . before I fill it this Fall. This is the wood I was left over with . . . should be nice and well seasoned come Fall. The wood I will stack this Fall in the center of the woodshed will then be used last . . . and with any luck will be the wood I use two years from now.

Attachments

• woodshedneedsfilling.jpg
    woodshedneedsfilling.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 668
That is a very nice-looking woodshed!

FFJake - Do you have a side view of your shed you could share. We might be building soon...... Shari

Shari said:
FFJake - Do you have a side view of your shed you could share. We might be building soon...... Shari

Ask and ye shall receive . . . taken shortly after I built the shed . . . so it isn't full of wood unfortunately.

Attachments

• SideA.jpg
    SideA.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 628
  • SideB.jpg
    SideB.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 633
I should also point out that my brother-in-law from CT and I also modified the woodshed . . . there is now a 4-foot wide attachement on the back with the roofline continuing to drop . . . he stores his two (well two of his three) snowmobiles in the new addition.

FFJake - Thanks for the photo - what kind of roofing material did you use? Shari

Shari said:
FFJake - Thanks for the photo - what kind of roofing material did you use? Shari

Shingles . . . some new . . . some old that were still in decent shape from the camp that I tore down . . . the camp incidentally which was what I got maybe 2/3 of my wood from to build this shed.

The shingles were different colors, but I figured what the heck . . . it's just a woodshed . . . after roofing the shed I had the brilliant thought of spelling out something with the different colored shingles . . . something like "SOS", "HELP" or "GOT WOOD" . . . of course this was after I was done and then it was too late.

The snowmobile addition roof is a bit different . . . it uses sheet metal (aluminum actually) that was pulled off the old camp . . . the nail holes were plugged with silicone.

Jake very nice, just don't you and the wife be burning any candles around the woodshed!

Zap

Hey Jake,
Looks like you built a stud wall between the posts. Am I seeing that correctly?
Looks like my shed walls may start bowing under the side loading pressure from the wood stacks.
Your way seems smarter. DOH!!!

zapny said:
Jake very nice, just don't you and the wife be burning any candles around the woodshed!

Zap

Nah, I save the candles for inside . . . ;)

PapaDave said:
Hey Jake,
Looks like you built a stud wall between the posts. Am I seeing that correctly?
Looks like my shed walls may start bowing under the side loading pressure from the wood stacks.
Your way seems smarter. DOH!!!

Not smarter . . . I just tend to over-build things . . . figured with a relatively low-angle on the roof that I wanted more strength . . . plus in tearing down the old camp I had plenty of 2 x 4s so it was easier for me to build the shed out of 2 x 4s and go with stud walls rather than go with the 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 post concept . . . in fact the "posts" you see at the front of the shed are in fact 2-3 2 x 4s spiked together.

Nice shed Jake. It certainly looks stout. What is the capacity?

BeGreen said:
Nice shed Jake. It certainly looks stout. What is the capacity?

I figured it holds between 9-10 cords of wood. The outside dimensions are 12 x 20 (but I deducted some for the walls, space between stacks) and I stack 6 feet high on average (probably a bit higher in places).

Excellent shed Jake.
Nice that you were able to reuse some older materials from the camp....well done!

Jake, what's the height of the openings?

Peter SWNH said:
Jake, what's the height of the openings?

Er . . . it's been awhile since I built it and I have a pretty poor memory . . . I'm thinking it was 6 or 7 feet . . . but don't hold me to that.

that shed looks to about the perfect height to put a trampoline off to the side, jump off the roof and hurt yourself pretty good smacking into the ground. Let me get my helmet and I'll be right over. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.