RE: My Saab Wood Trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
After getting by with one of those $99 small Home Depot trailers for a few years I opted to have my cousin (a professional welder) build me a more rugged (and larger) wood hauler that would better suit my needs . . .

He dug out this older and more rugged (and larger) trailer . . . beefed up the supension underneath and attached a couple of spare tires he had left over from a Saab he no longer owns . . . my only regret is that the Saab center hub hubcaps couldn't be attached due to the way he mounted the trailer . . . well he said I could silicone them in, but I figured that would be a bit overkill.

Attachments

• Saabtrailer1.jpg
    Saabtrailer1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 506
Another shot from the front.

Attachments

• saab2.jpg
    saab2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 477
Nice. That looks way heavier duty than the box's volume could support. This for the lawn tractor?

mayhem said:
Nice. That looks way heavier duty than the box's volume could support. This for the lawn tractor?

Nope . . . this is for the ATV . . . I tend to buck up the wood in the woods and then haul it out to a central point . . . or to my larger trailer to haul home.

’bert said:
looks a bit shy on ground clearance for behind a quad. IMO.

You're right . . . ground clearance isn't all that great . . . but it's better than what I was using before and that worked well enough.

I have the same Agri-Fab trailer with stock axle and wheels and have hauled it loaded with as much wood as my tractor can get traction for for probably twenty years and the sucker just keeps getting it done. It has outlived three garden tractors and hauled close to a hundred cords of wood out of the woods.

This looks pretty heavy duty. I like what your cousin did with. He was creative in his idea. It does look a little low to the ground, but if it does the job then there shouldn't be any problems. :)

BrotherBart said:
I have the same Agri-Fab trailer with stock axle and wheels and have hauled it loaded with as much wood as my tractor can get traction for for probably twenty years and the sucker just keeps getting it done. It has outlived three garden tractors and hauled close to a hundred cords of wood out of the woods.

I've had one of these for about 15 years and as BB says, "Just keeps getting it done".

I have one of the factory type like that but less heavy duty and it has worked well. It even has some angle iron extended 12" above the metal walls with some wooden slates to expand the space by about 33 % the only thing I have bent is the hitch bar when it began to tip over on a side hill because it had so much wood in it.

I have one that has not worked out too well. The hills are steep around here and my Quad starts spinning wheels when it cannot haul a heavy load up the hills. Also I had a problem where the tongue actually bent from the weight. I just bought some angle iron to try to beef it up. If this doesn't work I am calling it quits. I have found I can haul a decent amount by just tying down rounds on the front and rear of my Quad and it keeps the weight over the wheels (Am I the only one that does this?). It comes up the hills alot better. I also got a Bobcat that carrys the wood with ease, but a little overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.