re painting a bathroom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lighter colors open up a room.

My only other advice, no yellowish with flourescant lighting. I did that once, and it took me a while to figure out why I only looked jaundiced when I was in there. Repainted the next day :smirk:

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Lighter colors open up a room.

My only other advice, no yellowish...
LOL... the wife just repainted the bathroom from yellow to light grey.

http://www.farrow-ball.com/productdetails.aspx?cid=PC&pid=0017LG&language=en-GB

100_0519.jpg

Ceiling and doors are white too.

woodsman23 said:
I have to repaint and would like some color combo's ideas, it is a small bathroom any help would be great...

One idea would be to go to a HD/Lowes and just browse the magazine section, you can get ideas from the Interior magazines without even buying them, or try your local library and look...

Jay

Use a color wheel to get appropriate color matches. Use a paint that has high resistance to moisture, probably also semi-gloss, to help reduce moisture problems. Be sure the bathroom is well ventilated. The newer low noise exhaust fans are barely noticeable when "on." color wheel

We are also working on refinishing our bathroom as part of the home makeover to make it accessible for me, and have been debating between paint and wallpaper. Most of the room that still has the original wallboard was wallpapered over a skim coat of soft plaster, with some areas of textured plaster.

Our question is what to redo the walls in... The existing plaster has plenty of small nicks and dings from the wallpaper removal, and will probably get more, not to mention the larger holes and such that will need to be filled in regardless of what we finish the walls with. IMHO it will be difficult to get the wall smooth enough to look good under a coat of regular paint.

Wallpaper has it's own negatives, but it can cover a multitude of sins in the way of small imperfections as I understand it, and there are at least some sorts that are supposed to be good in a bathroom environment.

The other option is I've heard about textured and multi-color paints that are supposed to also be good at covering and hiding minor imperfections - what I don't know is if they are suitable for use in a bathroom and how good they are on this sorts of surface - any suggestions on the best way to re-finish the walls?

Gooserider

Venetian plaster is often applied to hide imperfections. Mildew resistant paints certainly have their advantage although they may limit your colour choices. I would avoid wallpaper in any damp location as the paper in and of itself is food for mold as is the glue.

Always use semi gloss in bathrooms. I use it everywhere else too but especially in the bathroom. Paint is expensive these days so do it right the first time. Color combos are great fun if you're into that sort of thing. I prefer a single color that doesn't clash with the floor, cabinetry, and counter material. That grey looks nice.

I've owned, used, repaired, remodeled a lot of bathrooms. Early on, I did some wallpaper...even a couple of those "mural" things of waterfalls or beaches. Real pretty when you first put them up. These days, my bathrooms have tile floors, tile tub surrounds, tile showers and everything else in semi-gloss enamel, or stained & laquered wood. Fiddle around with contrasting trim colors all you want, but in my mind it's worth the trouble to prep the walls & ceiling for semi-gloss enamel paint, and forget about any kind of wallpaper. Rick

jebatty said:
Use a paint that has high resistance to moisture, probably also semi-gloss, to help reduce moisture problems. Be sure the bathroom is well ventilated.

I made the mistake of using Bin primer / sealer on the ceiling (to cover some stains), and then putting standard ceiling paint over it. The moisture got trapped between them, and the ceiling paint bubbled, peeled, and fell off in most places within a week. What a job scraping and sanding that mess, and starting all over!

okay, painted with timberwolf gray and semi gloss white for ceiling and trim and door, looks great. I used the paint and primer all in one and it covered in 1 coat nice stuff, it is behr paint from the hommey...... thanks for all the help.

I just painted one grey with a dark red trim. Looks pretty nice. I also did another light blue with white trim.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.