Re-planting Maple trees??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
So, about 2 years ago my mother brought a bunch of seed pods from Neb. for me to try out. I kept the viable ones inside for the first winter, and the the rest (4) outside for the second winter. I now have 2 trees sporting leaves, but they're pretty small and thin. I'd like to give them a shot, but wonder about a location to re-plant them in. Ideas??
I have a year-round creek in the back, surrounded by Aspens, or plenty of sunny ground that would need watering. The creek area is always moist, about 1/8 acre of viable ground area.
I believe the trees are Red Maple, trying to live at 8,200' in Colorado.
Thanks.

Red Maple tolerate poor drainage soils. (No prolonged standing water though.) It's considered a bottom-land tree in some forests around my area (grows along with the Pin Oak, Sweet Gum, and occasional Sycamore).
But, as most trees, they do like a mostly sunny location or they will struggle at the very least.

Reactions: Beetle-Kill
I've got a lot of "volunteers" showing around the yard. I'd like to move them around, so I don't mow them.

The oak trees are getting hit with carpenter ants. big time.

I have to wonder where they came from, as there aren't alot of maples around my area.

What's the best way to move these "seedlings"?

I've got a lot of "volunteers" showing around the yard. I'd like to move them around, so I don't mow them.

The oak trees are getting hit with carpenter ants. big time.

I have to wonder where they came from, as there aren't alot of maples around my area.

What's the best way to move these "seedlings"?
Small trees can be safely moved in either the late fall or early spring when they are dormant and without leaf. A good way to get a goog transplant is to take a spade and cur a cycle arond the truck of the tree. Do this early on in the growing season. You will have cut the long roots off forcing the tree to make many small roots near the base of the tree. This will made a rootball that will enable you to safely move the tree without loss to it's feeding system. Keep newly transplanted trees well watered for the fist year or until they are showing signs of being well established in their new surroundings.

great info for me.... I have been moving maple saplings from the woods into the field around the house
hopefully this will help my success rate. They are usually about 1 inch diameter and 5-6 ft tall, they are growing under the canopy so they get tall and skinny.
have hundreds of them, so if one dies here or there I just replace it.

If you do move trees after the leaves are out its best to prune them back significantly after transplanting.
A certain root capacity is required to support the leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.