Ready for my next ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
I Just ran out of my barefoots and have decided to take advantage of the big box deals. My choices are:

Walmart
Penningtons $183 a ton

TSC
Lignetics (hopefully there are some left) $189/ton
AWF $189/ton

Lowes
Fireside Ultras, Green Team, stove chow (and one other brand that I cant remember) $189/ton

HD
Stove chow, Freedom Fuel, Somersets $189/ton

I have tested all brands except the two at TSC. Worst results from freedom fuel and stove chow. Penningtons and green teams were not as bad.

These prices have remained stable since fall.

WHat do you guys think?

I would go with the lignetics....

Somersets

Lignetics

Greene Team

Stove Chow

Would be my choices in order. But I always say try before you buy. Just a note: Somersets have been said to clinker/clog some stoves.

During my lunch I am going to grab a couple bags of lignetics. Try them out.. I hope to purchase my ton this weekend or early next week.

When I get down to the end of a ton, that serves as a reminder to me to do a really good stove cleaning, and yes, the leaf blower too!

I am mixing in the two tons of FF I got with the 6 tons of MWP and NEWP, the other day I dumped in a bag of FF and found a whole kernel of corn, quite a few pellets had parts or chunks of corn in them, now I watch and am seeing more corn throughout all the bags, not sure if this is good or bad, but I am glad I don't have just FF. Funny too as the bag says wood only for ingredients

rowerwet said:
I am mixing in the two tons of FF I got with the 6 tons of MWP and NEWP, the other day I dumped in a bag of FF and found a whole kernel of corn, quite a few pellets had parts or chunks of corn in them, now I watch and am seeing more corn throughout all the bags, not sure if this is good or bad, but I am glad I don't have just FF. Funny too as the bag says wood only for ingredients

I found corn too!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60581/#694219

geek emailed them and they use it to clean the dies at the mill. Wasn't enough to effect them in my stove. What got me was there size. Fat stubby things!

Status
Not open for further replies.