Ready for the Deep Freeze

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Tonight we brought in two loads of cherry and some sugar maple. It's a crisp night out at -5 but nice to work in, attached are some pictures of the rhino backed up to the wood, the moon and cutting down some sugar maple for n/s loading.

The last picture is the first sugar maple I cut down. (half of what we brought in tonight and the second load of sugar maple this week)

zap

Attachments

• 100_2191.jpg
    100_2191.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 378
  • 100_2192.jpg
    100_2192.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 370
  • 100_2193.jpg
    100_2193.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 379
  • 100_2195.jpg
    100_2195.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 391
  • 100_2196.jpg
    100_2196.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 398
"Ready for the Deep Freeze" Getting married?

Seriously, I hope this isnt a prelude of weather to come this winter. I watched an episode of I shouldn't be alive and saw how this group of hunters and guides had to endure a few nights at -40f. No thank you. I threw a few extra logs on the fire and awoke to a house at 71 with outside temps in the single digits.

Rockey said:

Seriously, I hope this isnt a prelude of weather to come this winter. I watched an episode of I shouldn't be alive and saw how this group of hunters and guides had to endure a few nights at -40f. No thank you. I threw a few extra logs on the fire and awoke to a house at 71 with outside temps in the single digits.

Married and the best thing I have ever done. Mon. and Tues. -23 and -26 for here.

zap

zapny said:
Rockey said:

Married and the best thing I have ever done. Mon. and Tues. -23 and -26 for here.

zap

ahhh your wifes a member here too. I read you bro.

What state you in Zap? Cold here too but a balmy 15 compared to you

weatherguy said:

What state you in Zap? NY Cold here too but a balmy 15 compared to you

ZAP

So the fourth pic is what you use to cut your splits down?

Ready for the Deep Freeze” Getting married?

Seriously, I hope this isnt a prelude of weather to come this winter. I watched an episode of I shouldn’t be alive and saw how this group of hunters and guides had to endure a few nights at -40f. No thank you. I threw a few extra logs on the fire and awoke to a house at 71 with outside temps in the single digits.

I saw that episode, the snow was deep too and nothing to make a fire with. Who knew Afghanistan got so cold.

Zap,

It's funny you and I are only a few hours away from one another, but in the winter we live on two different planets. It's 17* here and crystal clear. I heard it's been snowing on you since Saturday. Good thing you're well prepared for the snow.

Great pics Zap! using the Rhino, in the snow, to haul firewood. Doesn't get much better than that.

Hopefully that freezing rain nonsense they are talking about for the weekend ends up being snow. A couple inches of ice on top of our recent snow going into the deep freeze would suck.

CodyWayne718 said:
So the fourth pic is what you use to cut your splits down?

Yes, just the Sugar Maple and Beech that I cut before we even thought about buying a stove.

zap

It just doesn't make sence that it would warm up ?

Wow, those are some chilly temps!

If thats all you got your going to freeze! lol

What's the glowing object in the pics . . . Christmas decoration? At first I thought it was a fire in a pit.

Skier76 said:
Great pics Zap! using the Rhino, in the snow, to haul firewood. Doesn't get much better than that.

Skier76, if we didn't have the rhino for bringing in the wood I probably wood be ten pounds lighter from pushing the wheelbarrow.

zap

Zap where in NY are you that is going to be -23!!! is that *C?
I'm in North Western Vermont about 15 miles south of the Canadian border and they're forecasting low single digits. Granted we are in the Champlain Valley near the lake so it tempers things a bit... Are you in the Saranac Lake area? They are always 10-15* colder than the rest of the region.
It was a crisp 5*F outside last night when i went to bed, with the stove room at 80*F... Four huge Sugar Maple splits cooking away - had to dip into the cold weather stash.

VTHC said:
Zap where in NY are you that is going to be -23!!! is that *C?
I'm in North Western Vermont about 15 miles south of the Canadian border and they're forecasting low single digits. Granted we are in the Champlain Valley near the lake so it tempers things a bit... Are you in the Saranac Lake area? They are always 10-15* colder than the rest of the region.
It was a crisp 5*F outside last night when i went to bed, with the stove room at 80*F... Four huge Sugar Maple splits cooking away - had to dip into the cold weather stash.

Northern New York / Town of Colton was forecast for -23 to -26 that is with the windchill factor for Mon. and Tues. but looking at it today the forecast has changed already. Looks like Tuesday with the windchill - 15 that is a big change (good one) in one day.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.