"ready to use" fuel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HardWoodW

Oct 9, 2009
Indiana
I went to the small engine warehouse today to get a new chain for my saw, and they had 50:1 "premixed" fuel. The guy told me it's ethanol free so it's better for the carburetor and wouldn't damage your saw if you let it sit in the tank for a while. Claims to have a shelf life of 2-3 years. Well it's $20 for a case of 6 32 oz bottles so I passed since I can mix that much fuel myself for about 5 bucks but if I thought it was a lot better for my saw I guess I would use it. Anybody use this stuff?

http://www.drillspot.com/products/1348517/32OZ_50-1_Fuel_Oil_0125638_32OZ_50-1_Fuel_Oil

It could certainly have an application for convenience.

I prefer to run 93 octane with ethanol (no choice locally), Stihl Ultra and little shot of seafoam.

The Stihl Ultra has fuel stabilizer as does the sea foam. I mix just enough to last 30-60 days and if I haven't used the balance I dump it in the mower or truck and mix a fresh batch.

I wish I could buy non ethanol gas, but I think there are ways to handle it without paying the price of the premixed stuff.

Thats pretty expensive to me but I burn regular unleaded for years in my coleman camping equipment.
(I'm a cheap-skate though :) )
$20 for 1-1/2 gallons. WOW.
Better for their bank account than your saw.
Good marketing ploy & a high profit gig.
May have some buyers but they won't be "do it yourselfers" or very many woodcutters.

Aviation gasoline I think is ethanol free. Buy a 5 gallon can & "sea-foam" or "sta-bill" it. Should last a year+ in a good can.
Check small airports, some have it in sealed cans. More $$ than at the pump but high octane & ethanol free. Mix a gallon at a time.

I am currently running 117 Octane Leaded VPRacing C16 in my saw. It runs about 8$ a gallon, never goes bad, and has no alcohol in it. And SMELLS awesome while you are cutting.

For nearly unspoilable gas that that costs only about $.50 per gallon more than premium follow these 3 easy instructions

1) Go to your local airport with a 5 gallon metal gas can (metal can keeps AvGas indefinitely)

2) Dump one pint of your favorite mix oil in the 5 gallon metal gas can (makes 40:1 which just makes the math easier. If you wanna do the math for 50:1 go right ahead)

3) Fill gas can with 100LL (100 octane leaded AvGas)

Bigg_Redd said:
For nearly unspoilable gas that that costs only about $.50 per gallon more than premium follow these 3 easy instructions

1) Go to your local airport with a 5 gallon metal gas can (metal can keeps AvGas indefinitely)

2) Dump one pint of your favorite mix oil in the 5 gallon metal gas can (makes 40:1 which just makes the math easier. If you wanna do the math for 50:1 go right ahead)

3) Fill gas can with 100LL (100 octane leaded AvGas)

+1

But when useing LL100 leaded gas the newer saws have a catalist in the mufflers, and lead will stop them up. Soo can you remove the catalist without causing performance problems ????

M said:
But when useing LL100 leaded gas the newer saws have a catalist in the mufflers, and lead will stop them up. Soo can you remove the catalist without causing performance problems ????

Toss the catalyst in the trash, open the muffler up a bit for more exhaust flow, remove the limiters on the mixture screws, re tune the saw, & you'll be surprised at what your saw will do. Catalyst = constipation = heat build up= death to an engine. Not to mention low performance. A C

Husqvqrnq manual for the new saws state:
Use good quality unleaded or leaded petrol.
• CAUTION! Engines equipped with catalytic
converters must be run on unleaded fuel
mixtures. Leaded gasoline will destroy the catalytic
converter and it will no longer serve its purpose. The
"green fuel cap" on saws fitted with catalytic converters
means that only unleaded gasoline can be used.
• The lowest recommended octane grade is 90 (RON).

(so "leaded" or "unleaded" is ok for most Huskys)

Stihl manuals state:
Use mid-grade unleaded gasoline with a
minimum octane rating of 89 (R+M/2).

STIHL recommends that you use only
nationally recognized high-quality
unleaded gasoline!.

This may not be true on all newer saws, but the octane is important. Regular unleaded burns hotter & is harder on the bearings than premium unleaded.

For unleaded only saws;
A_C might bet right, "open it up" but "wait until the warranty has expired anyway." :)

So av-gas is OK for most saws. Just check the manual or risk voiding the warranty. No ethanol, which is good.
Just store it in a tight metal can for longer shelf life.

Status
Not open for further replies.