Rebuild of VC Intrepid II Model 1990

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njmeder

Dec 11, 2011
CT
Good Evening,

I had purchased a slightly used (a dozen fires) VC Intrepid II Model 1990 earlier this spring in anticipation of installing it in my finished basement. The gentleman that I was buying the stove from said that he dropped it when removing it to replace with a pellet stove and had cracked the stove back and broken the griddle. At the time I could not resist as I figured the repair could not be too involved and the price was just right. However after receiving the necessary parts to repair I realize that I am looking at a complete tear down and rebuild in order to replace the stove back. After several failed attempts to contact Vermont Castings I am seeking advice as to the complexity/feasibility of this repair. I was hoping to find some additional information from someone that has either rebuilt one of these stoves or knows where I can locate a repair manual, or more importantly if they can advise that I might be better off buying a new stove. One of the local dealers here in the area says I would be better off just starting over. Any comments or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nick

It's really not rocket surgery. If you're mechanical, don't worry. It'll be tedious since the cement will be quite solid and on fun to remove, but it's worth considering. Need about $75.00 in parts to do.

I do this for a living, and would gladly do yours if you're in the Northeast??

I helped my father rebuild a few stoves when I was younger and it did not seem that bad, of course he did all the work! Regardless I do think that this is the best option at this point. Included in the additional parts would be some 5/16" gasket material and cement? I have all the other cast pieces that I need. Just need to figure the order of operations; looks as though the top needs to come off first, and then do the side panels also need to be removed? And yes I am located in the Northeast, Southern CT to be more specific. Thanks.

I always replace the tie rods too, just to be certain that I won't have to think about the whole thing again.

When I did mine, I blocked up the stove on a 2x6 board cradle. This got weight off the legs. Undo legs, then you can access the nuts on the bottom 4 corners that hold the tie rods from the top in place.
Before you get to this stage, remove all the easy stuff....doors, lid, flue collar, ash pan, grate etc.
Take notes and pictures of the sequence. Keep exploded parts diagram handy. Observe which seams will require cement when reassembling....it's not always so obvious after you've cleaned all the parts.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.