rebuilding hearth photos needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
We are putting down new floors and are interested in redoing our wood stove hearth. It is in a corner of a room. Right now it is made with red bricks and black mortar. We are intersted in more of a modern look. The tile stores and contractors have been suggesting either a granite, marble, or traverteen(spelling). How do they handle the heat ? I would perfer something that reflects the heat better that absorbs it. Any Photos of your would help greatly!

This is what we ended up with. we think it looks good. I don't know about reflecting vs holding heat, doesn't get to hot when the stove is running wide open. It is tile from Lowes, over two layers of wonderboard, attached to steel 2x frame work. Cherry surround.

Attachments

• phpNSDYHBPM.jpg
    phpNSDYHBPM.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 213
I like it. So is it ceramic or porcelin tile. Do you have any on the walls?

It's ceramic, 13x13, called "canyon slate", only about $1.25 a tile.. on the walls we went with a different tile. We are not finished yet, we were hoping to paint this weekend, but a big Alberta clipper is tearing through here and she didn't want to shut the stove down.. and I didn't really feel like painting.. so it didn't get done. I am building a matching cherry mantel and surround.

Attachments

• Walltile up.jpg
    Walltile up.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 199
I went with a marble tile and a cherry mantel. I put the tile down 5+ years ago and I just finished putting the mantel together last month. I have a few more tidbits to finish. I really wish I would have went with a hearth stove. I'll never do an insert again! Only if I would have found this site 5+ years ago!

I look forward to your finished pictures and good luck.

(first time attaching pictures in the forum.)

Attachments

• Mantel 022.jpg
    Mantel 022.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 177
  • Mantel 021.jpg
    Mantel 021.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Mantel 018.jpg
    Mantel 018.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 191
Status
Not open for further replies.