Recommendations for mantel finish

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

semipro

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2009
SW Virginia
I'm finally getting around to transforming a large chunk of cedar that's been sitting in my basement into a mantel for our stone fireplace. I need to stain it and put a protective finish on it but am worried about the effects of the heat coming up from the wood stove beneath it. I typically use water-based stain and poly on wood projects but I'm not sure that's the way to go with the mantel. Since poly is basically a plastic(?) I'm thinking that the elevated temps above the stove may soften or degrade it.

Anyone have an experience/thoughts on this.

Semipro said:
I'm finally getting around to transforming a large chunk of cedar that's been sitting in my basement into a mantel for our stone fireplace. I need to stain it and put a protective finish on it but am worried about the effects of the heat coming up from the wood stove beneath it. I typically use water-based stain and poly on wood projects but I'm not sure that's the way to go with the mantel. Since poly is basically a plastic(?) I'm thinking that the elevated temps above the stove may soften or degrade it.

Anyone have an experience/thoughts on this.

Since there seems to be a lack of knowledge or experience on this ;) I thought I let you know what I found.

Don't use polyurethane.

Waterlox works well.

I attached a few pictures. I was actually taking shots of the firewood pass-through (air lock) I just finished for posting in the "Wood Shed" but the mantle shows pretty well.

Attachments

• IMG_2381 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2381 (Small).jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2383 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2383 (Small).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 161
Clear Danish oil such as Watco rubbed in well,followed by carnauba/beeswax mixture,buffed to a soft mellow glow is another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.