Recycling Pellet Bags

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kt1i

Jun 18, 2008
Central MA
I am ahead of myself since I don't have the stove yet. I am now taking my household trash to the local transfer station and using the PAYT bags. What has been the experience in recycling the pellet bags. At one a day it would mount up if I can't recycle them.

I spoke to one of my customers a little while ago and the topic of empty bags came up. She had the best answer I have heard and I have sold a lot of pellets. She said that she helps out at a local Human Society kennel/shelter and takes the bags there. The kennel will use the bags for animal waste collection. Everyone might want to check the phone books in their area and see if the animal shelters need waste bags.

Eric

I normally recycle my pellet bags at the curb but that is a good idea about giving
them to the local shelters to use.

I'm using mine as standard size kitchen garbage bags. We buy cheap rubber bands to seal them up, but have not bought trash bags in ages. An added bonus is you get some natural deodorizing effect from the pellet dust left in the bag. It seems to absorb some of the smells.

I believe I have another 150 empty bags in the basement, so I will ultimately have to look for other recycling sources too. The animal shelter is a great idea.

mkmh said:
I'm using mine as standard size kitchen garbage bags. We buy cheap rubber bands to seal them up, but have not bought trash bags in ages. An added bonus is you get some natural deodorizing effect from the pellet dust left in the bag. It seems to absorb some of the smells.

I believe I have another 150 empty bags in the basement, so I will ultimately have to look for other recycling sources too. The animal shelter is a great idea.
Pretty much the same, trash liners. I keep one in the trunk as a liner if I carry anything wet or dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.