Red Maple in the water

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bspring

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
Greenville, SC
I have a Red Maple the fell in the water. It is completely under except about 4' at the base. Will it rot faster under water than on the ground? It fell over the winter. I plan to get it out but have others that I am working on right now.

It won't rot if it has no air. Logging companies are pulling 100 yr. old logs off the bottom of lakes. Wooden pilings for tall buildings are fine until someone drops the water table below the wood.

As soon as the water goes down, pull it out if you can and it will be fine. We have that happen a lot here. I've got just a little bit that is in the water now and has laid there for 2 years. I'll get that out of there this summer but won't burn it for a while for sure. But, we have plenty on hand so it can take its own sweet time in seasoning.

Occasionally there is a tree that we need to cut but have to wait until July or August so the ground dries up. I really hate to do this because so many times we find yellow jackets. That is not pleasant indeed! The last one we cut in August a couple years back was tough. I felt something hit me and thought it was just a branch, but then suddenly I was getting it all over my face. The worst was when a couple of them got in one of my ears. Had an awful time getting them out. Not counting the ear stings we figured I had 21 stings on my face. Nasty to say the least. So.....we cut as little as possible in the summer months.

I agree, but sometimes when they are all over you, it is very natural to just drop the saw and get out fast! What is really funny (at least it is funny now) is that the danged saw I was using at the time did not want to idle. Set it down and it would stall. However, I dropped the saw and went to the atv where I had a shirt. I swung that shirt around long enough so they would stop attacking. All this time that danged saw sit there running great! After I finally got to the saw and shut it off I headed to the house. There was just a couple logs I needed to saw so did. But do you think that saw would idle? No way! It stalled every time. I believe Murphy must have been around that day.

I didn't know yellow jackets were a problem up there. My place is infested with them but I will have to deal with it.

Oh yes. Every summer they can be terrible. The worst is when they get in the barns. They also every summer seem to congregate around the chimneys. Guess they must like the smell.

I recall by first really bad experience with them when I was young. I was on a bulldozer pushing out stumps. The last one had about a million of those fighters and they were all over me. Then one time my brother-in-law got into a nest and he was so swelled up all over he went to the doctor for shots. He was really a mess and his face swelled so bad he could hardly see. Nasty things they are.

Backwoods Savage said:
Oh yes. Every summer they can be terrible. The worst is when they get in the barns. They also every summer seem to congregate around the chimneys. Guess they must like the smell.

I recall by first really bad experience with them when I was young. I was on a bulldozer pushing out stumps. The last one had about a million of those fighters and they were all over me. Then one time my brother-in-law got into a nest and he was so swelled up all over he went to the doctor for shots. He was really a mess and his face swelled so bad he could hardly see. Nasty things they are.
seen them take out an aeration crew 3 aeraters had them on lock down for 2-1/2 hr til the tree shurb truck could get there to hose down the area with insect control was funny seeing them just idling (down on was hurt bad)

Status
Not open for further replies.