Red Tailed Hawk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KaptJaq

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
I was walking at the back of our property with the kids trying to get some pictures. First we heard her scream, then we saw her just over our heads. She is back. Last year she had two chicks in a nest about 200 feet from the house. It was a blast watching her hunt then watching her teach them to hunt. We even saw her steal a mouse that our cat had flushed from the brush. I pointed the camera in the general direction and squeezed. A second later she was gone into a dive for dinner...

KaptJaq

Attachments

• hawk.gif
    hawk.gif
    229.2 KB · Views: 2,973
Reactions: Gasifier
Great shot. I love to watch them stalk their pray and dive into action. I too have red tailed hawks circling around looking for little critters. They really like the area because we have chipmunks up the kazoo around here!

Fantastic picture. Try to catch them during the mating ritual. It seems they fool around in the air then spin each other around as part of the foreplay. I thought they were fighting, but some guy at the coffee shop set me straight. I think the actual mating must take place in the trees or nest. Never seen that.

Webmaster said:
I love getting photos of them!

Here are some of my greatest hits...

Pfft.....Craig....you show off... :lol:

All great pics guys....!

GAMMA RAY said:
Webmaster said:

All great pics guys....!

Nah, this is showing off - was in Florida for a week+....

Attachments

• bird2.jpg
    bird2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 333
  • bird1.jpg
    bird1.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 306
Webmaster said:
GAMMA RAY said:
Webmaster said:

All great pics guys....!

Hmm..that sunset pic sure reminds me of another pic.... :coolhmm:
just sayin'....

KaptJaq said:
I was walking at the back of our property with the kids trying to get some pictures. First we heard her scream, then we saw her just over our heads. She is back. Last year she had two chicks in a nest about 200 feet from the house. It was a blast watching her hunt then watching her teach them to hunt. We even saw her steal a mouse that our cat had flushed from the brush. I pointed the camera in the general direction and squeezed. A second later she was gone into a dive for dinner...

KaptJaq

KaptJaq, nice picture.

Swampy

jimbom said:
Fantastic picture. Try to catch them during the mating ritual. It seems they fool around in the air then spin each other around as part of the foreplay. I thought they were fighting, but some guy at the coffee shop set me straight. I think the actual mating must take place in the trees or nest. Never seen that.

Blink and you'll miss it.

Hi Eatonpcat,

The red tail hawk picture was taken with a Canon EOS Rebel XSi in full auto mode. The lens was the 18-55 zoom set at 55. The picture was pure luck. As soon as I saw her I aimed and shot. Had time for one frame and she was gone. In the picture she had just spotted something so her feathers are spread out to slow herself down. When I looked up from the camera all I saw was a bullet heading into the trees to get dinner...

KaptJaq

KaptJaq said:
Hi Eatonpcat,

The red tail hawk picture was taken with a Canon EOS Rebel XSi in full auto mode. The lens was the 18-55 zoom set at 55. The picture was pure luck. As soon as I saw her I aimed and shot. Had time for one frame and she was gone. In the picture she had just spotted something so her feathers are spread out to slow herself down. When I looked up from the camera all I saw was a bullet heading into the trees to get dinner...

KaptJaq

I think it was a little less luck than you're admitting to...Very nice shot, and that is a very nice entry level slr digital camera!! All any of us amatuers need!!

Webmaster said:
GAMMA RAY said:
Webmaster said:

All great pics guys....!

I can show off too!
Got lucky with this pic last summer.

Attachments

• 0913111321.jpg
    0913111321.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 150
Nice picture KaptJaq. A few years ago, I put up a perch in front of the house for red
DSC_0992.jpg

DSC_0994.jpg
DSC_8117.jpg
DSC_2778.jpg
DSC_7945.jpg
tails to land on. It took about a week for them to use it, but since then it has been fun. Here are a few pics.

Reactions: Jack Straw
Skyline...you win the prize.....awesome pics!!!

Thanks Gamma, now if I can just learn to post:)

Status
Not open for further replies.