Refinishing/changing the bathtub color

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

livefreeordie

Nov 21, 2010
Rochester, NH
Our house was built in 1960 and the bathroom screams pink. We remodeled the whole house next is the bathroom, does anybody have any experience with those kits on the market to change the color or resurface bathtubs? we really don't want to replace the tub, mainly because there is nothing wrong with it so i was thinking why not change the color. Any input from you guys would be great. Thanks

I hope someone here has some experience because I have the same problem and am considering the same solution.

LFOD and I seem to be living parallel lives right now as far as home repairs. We're both working on foam in the basement and I was thinking of posting this same question to the forum only yesterday.

There are some pretty educational videos on Youtube about this that you may want to check out.

I do not have any experience with the kits, but there are company's that will come and do a nice job for you. They prep it and spray a porcelin paint finish on. Bring it back to a normal color! Much cheaper then ripping it out and replacing it. It's probably a good old cast iron one too. Get it painted!

It was done at my father's house. The results were amazing. I don't think it cost too much either.

Well i'll have to keep looking for a local company to do the work. After spending a few hours researching the DIY kits i reed nothing but horror stories.

Semipro how did your insulation project turn out?

livefreeordie said:
Well i'll have to keep looking for a local company to do the work. After spending a few hours researching the DIY kits i reed nothing but horror stories.

Semipro how did your insulation project turn out?

Well, I got one piece of foam up and then got distracted on another project, the master bath, which is why I'm wondering about bathtub refinishing...typical me. I have about 6 big projects going at any one time.

One thing is for sure, that tall stack of foam boards is doing me no good sitting in the back of my trailer. :)

lol, i know the feeling. My wife wants everything done at once.

do yourself a favor: save your money on a tub painting kit or batfitter. rip the thing out and do it over the right way. "the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten".

richg said:
do yourself a favor: save your money on a tub painting kit or batfitter. rip the thing out and do it over the right way. "the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten".

Well said. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.