Refractory Liners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
I have had a Buck 26000, since 1982. It came with refractory liners - covered the bottom and back and sides basically in the bottom corners and part way up the sides. The manual said they had to be used for burning coal with a coal grate. I never have used them because they cut down the size of the fire box considerably. I have never had any damage to the steel inside of the fire box that I can find (the entire fire box is surrounded by a second wall through which room air is forced by the fan, that is, a heat exchanger) I am just wondering though, if the stove wood retain heat longer if they were installed. It seems all the new EPA cert. stoves have liners.

Attachments

• Refractory liners 3.jpg
    Refractory liners 3.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 454
for a 1982 stove, I'd run it till it burns thru, then get a new one under the tax credit....

It shows no signs of burning through. I try to leave a pretty good ash bed. I would love to have a new one, but just can't face the uninstall and install. I am not as young as I used to be. :-S So, back to my orginal question, I know the refractory liners are going to help protect the steel, but is their mass and subsequent heat retention a big enough advatage to try using them?

give 'em a shot, but i think you would be better served without them to load in the extra wood in the extra space

summit said:
give 'em a shot, but i think you would be better served without them to load in the extra wood in the extra space
Thanks, that is what I have always thought too. Another question, since I see you are an installer - I have only recently connected my stove directly to a SS flex liner to the top of my flue. When you brush clean these flex liners, fastened only at the top plate and the stove boot, is there any chance the brush will disform the flex liner where it curves into the stove boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.