refrigerator won't get cold

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisN

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2005
Southeastern, Ct
I have a three year old Whirlpool refrigerator and have an issue with the cooling. It is a standard freezer over refrigerator model and the freezer is getting cold, not as cold as I would like, but cold enough to freeze, make ice in the automatic ice maker, etc. The refrigerator section is only staying at about 52 degrees. I've vacuumed all the coils, unplugged the unit and let it thaw overnight but nothing has worked yet. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? Worse case scenario, I'll call the appliance guy to come take a look.

What temp does the freezer get to? If it's cold enough, something is blocking cold air from moving to the fridge section (maybe newer ones work differently..)

The icebox temp is at -8 the fridge section is at 53

Check the door seal with a dollar bill test.

There should be two temp controls, one for the freezer and the other sets the differential. Perhaps the differential one got bumped. There may be a fan that is supposed to circulate the fridge air that either stopped working is is clogged. There is drain as well that can get clogged.

I would focus in on the fan. Make sure it is working. Also check that if the fan motor is working, that the fan blade is securely attached to the motor shaft. There were some failures at this point in some refers. If the fan is working then check that the air inlet from the freezer to the fan has not iced up. If it has, it could be a failure of a heat strip used during the defrost cycle.

turns out it is the fan. It's getting voltage but not running. I have a new one on order. Thanks for the help.

Chris

Ta Da! Another success for Stump the Chumps. :)

But seriously, this is BS to be happening on a 3 yr old fridge.

The quality of a lot of components has really gone downhill, luckily the problem ones seem to get picked up by aftermarket manufacturers in a lot of cases and better quality replacements made. Had a similar issue on a compressor starter for my fridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.