Refurbish a Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim 0041 After House Fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

qmanchego

Aug 17, 2010
Northern CA
A house fire completely destroyed my 2nd home in the CA foothills, over a year ago. I'm now in the process of rebuilding and saved my Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim model 0041 wood burning stove. It looked like it survived so-so, but it's also rusty now from sitting outside for a year waiting for the rebuild. One of the feet also broke off (you can see it in the picture if you look carefully).

I really liked the Acclaim, and it also has sentimental value. Is it reasonable to get this refurbished? If so, can someone point me to a business or person that would take the job?

p.s. The house fire was not caused by anything to do with the wood burning stove.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• VCRA Burned.jpg
    VCRA Burned.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 1,654
complete tear down and rebuild sounds like the ticket! The leg breaking is not a huge deal, unless it took the part that bolts to the leg w/ it! if it did, then a new base plate will be in order as well. Most rebuilds we do like this in this are will run @ 1200.

Edit: These comments sound silly when talking about a device that has fire inside it, but house fires (think over-firing) can have extreme amounts of heat at times, and can expose the stove to heat in ways it was not designed to withstand.

Don't even think about it if it was exposed to high heat, as the castings could have weakened. Why did the foot break off? If it broke because the casting was damaged by heat, then it would be reasonable to think that other parts were affected and could crack/break at any time, most likely not a good time.

I recognize that there may be some sentimental value here . . . but as Daleeper mentioned there may be heat damage to the stove . . . not to mention the rust, possible discoloration and smell from the smoke and chance that heavy wood or other objects may have struck the stove as the structure collapsed.

I would save my money and apply it to another woodstove . . . and form a new long-lasting relationship with the new stove. You'll always remember your first . . . but the new stove can be just as good, if not better.

just for the record: VC legs break off very easily, even without any casting issues!

This house fire was at least 1250 deg F since it melted all the aluminum in the house. I am definitely worried about heat damage, it seems a certainty.

I assume the leg broke off due to the structure collapsing, which was approx 20 ft above ground level in that location.

Thanks!

qmanchego said:
This house fire was at least 1250 deg F since it melted all the aluminum in the house. I am definitely worried about heat damage, it seems a certainty.

I assume the leg broke off due to the structure collapsing, which was approx 20 ft above ground level in that location.

Thanks!

Err aluminum as though aluminum ingots melts at 1220F. Aluminum as in what your cars wheels are made out of is aluminum carbide and melts at almost 2000F. But aluminum as in the hindenburg melts at a measly 1202F.

The Acclaim is not worth the $$$ rebuild. I know you like the stove, but...... The price above at 1200 is a starting point, then sand blasting and little things like handles and such. All adds up quick, you would be far better served to look toward a replacement.

qmanchego said:

Thanks!

Well between the possible 1200+ deg F exterior temps, and a 20ft tumble to its location in the pic (or structure falling 20ft onto it-not sure which), I would say it's scrap metal or a boat anchor. It also appears to be laying face down on the front doors/glass? More possible damage?

I say "stick a fork in it, it's done!"

Forgive me for this one . . . but I'm on a roll.

I'm with Quads -- scrap the sucker! ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.