Relatives are warm and Warm is relative

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

2nd day of 30+ here in NY. Unfortunatly I have no Hemlock slab ready to go, so I am still burning oak. When I'm home I use small loads of 2" stuff and reload every 4 hours. When away from home I use 5" rounds and turn the aquastat back to 175*

I must say . . .I prefer the Movie Groundhog day to the actual event :smirk:

We hit 37 here in Michigan yesterday. I threw some real punky crap in my EKO yesterday just to see how she'd burn. Results were as expected - not good. But it's nice to leave some of the oak on the pile. With more days like this I might actually make it to spring without splitting more wood...

stee6043 said:
I might actually make it to spring without splitting more wood...

I keep hearing this thing . . . this 'splitting wood' thing . . . what IS that??

Honestly, I have no evidence that turning down the aquastat is any more efficient, but . . . it helps keep from over-temping when it warms up outside . . . .

But it's supposed to be back to 0* Wednesday night, so, don't get too far behind the momentum curve yet ;-)

No dump zone. The GW is elevated~10' above the highest slab.

It was -25* this morning. I had thrown in mostly oak last night at 10:30. Only coals at 6:30 water temp at 160*. Supposed to warm up today and for the next week,temps in the 30's. Still getting some creosote buildup in my stovepipe and chimney. I think I am going to take the damper out. It is so full of creosote I don't think it is working. I still have the extra 3' of chimney on for a total of 22' from the furnace so I should have enough draft. My aquastat is set at 180, water temp peaks at about 195. I'm sure all will change when it warms up.

djblech
Greenwood 100
Vermont Castings Dutchwest

Status
Not open for further replies.