Relay Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dogwood

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2009
Western VA
Could anyone recommend a SPST relay that would use line voltage to switch on a 24v circuit, rather than the other way around. Would either the Taco SR501 or Honeywell R8845U switching relays be able to perform that function?

Mike

You can get all the different types of relays you might want online. I picked up a few from grainger.com for my boiler install. You're looking for 110V "coil voltage". Should be no problem to find...

I wood recommend a Ribb relay - these are wonderful as they can be wired up with 24v/120/240v line voltage and 24v/120V switching relay voltage.

We carry one relay and are able to handle all relay applications.

These are awesome!!!!

Thanks,

RIB is a good relay, I use them often. You can power(trigger) the basic model with either 24V or 115, very flexible indeed.

I would like to use a RIB relay, but like Chuck 172 am unsure of which one to get. I looked on Ebay and in Graingers and there were literally thousands of possible relays including RIBs. I just can't figure from their descriptions which one of them could do the trick of using a 120 volt circuit, when energized, to turn on a 24 volt circuit. If someone could point out which type and model number of SPST RIB to use, I'd be very appreciative. It's probably their simplest model and I would like to use a RIB. Here's a link to the myriad of types and models they offer:

http://hvac.functionaldevices.com/chartRelays.html

I would also like to find a DPST that would do the same thing, but could use two SPST relays. Don't know if RIB makes a DPST looking through the above link.

Thanks,

Mike

What you want is a RIBU1C its a SPST . RIB ( Relay In a Box ) does make all kinds of other relays but I think most HVAC repair guys use these because they are so versatile.
Webie

The honeywell 8845U will do it, as well as a lot of other things, but as mentioned above there are simpler and cheaper relays available. I have used a lot of the honeywell, currently using Argo, just because a local supplier has them - cheaper, and simpler.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the RIBU1C is a SPDT, at least according to the picture I have in front of me. That being said, is there an equivalent to the RIBU1C in a DPDT configuration? I could use these to enable me to overlay my DHW wiring on top of my heating circuits using the same switches, thermostats etc. already in place. Thanks Northwoodsman, Webie, Chris, Chuck172, WRboiler and Stee6043, for your responses. I'll look through RIB's catalog to and see if I can figure this out, but my figuring is more a shot in the dark than anything else.

Mike

The RIBU1C is SPDT. The equivilant in the DPDT is the RIB2401D. Costs a little bit more, not bad.

Thank you WRBoiler. My boiler supply and DHW schematic is now complete. Couple odds and ends on the Tarms overheat circuitry and all electrical schematics should be done. I'll see if there are any of these on Ebay.

Mike

Just ordered two RIB2401D's on Ebay for $20 apiece. Life is good. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.