Reliable sump pump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jensent

Apr 22, 2010
central Ill
Time to replace two sump pumps in a sump that produces a ton of water. Two 3/4 hp submersible pumps running in the same sump can just keep pace with with the inflow after a 3 to 4 in. downpour. This amount of water doesn't happen but once in 3 or 4 yrs but when it does it is a problem! These pumps are rated at 3500 gal/hr each, at 10ft lift. Can anyone recommend a reliable pump with this type of capacity? What brands have you had good luck with? Has anyone used one of the pumps with electronic off/on device like the Switch Genius Technology Wayne Pumps markets.They have no moving parts. With two pumps in the same sump I have a minimum amount of room available. Float switches can be a problem.
Thanks
Tom

Best I can tell you is to keep the box and receipt......I have been through 4 from Nov.

Jay
Have all of the pumps been the same company size etc? Would you share the name of the Mfg and model number? Sounds like they would something I should avoid! Did they come from a big box store and which one?
Tom

There is a possibility that the small sump dimensions are contributing to the rapid pump failure. If the pumps are too big and the sump too small, the pumps "short cycle" when there is less flow. Short cycling is when the pump turns on runs for a short period a minute or two than shuts off when the sump is dry. Its hard on a motor to be constantly cycled like that, as the motor draws more power at startup which can be hard on the windings. Ideally you want a pump that runs all the time but that would require a level controller and a varable speed drive. Another way would be to put a high level switch and run a normally open valve to recirculate back to the pit to reduce shortcycling but have the valve close when the level gets too high.

festerw said:
I don't have water problems myself but a few folds I know swear by Zoeller pumps.

http://www.zoellerpumps.com/ProductByCategory.aspx?CategoryID=3
I've heard good things about their pumps but their switches have a bad reputation.

Set the pumps at different levels so that the second only comes on if/when the first cannot keep up. That should reduce the cycling on the first pump.

If you're getting that much volume, you might need to re-slope the yard and get the rain gutters away from the house.

jensent said:
Jay
Have all of the pumps been the same company size etc? Would you share the name of the Mfg and model number? Sounds like they would something I should avoid! Did they come from a big box store and which one?
Tom

Yes but the way it was explained to me with all the flooding that this is an issue with all brands.....They could be caught up by now but, we are still pumping at-least once a week and it is al-most July! Hang on to everything with your purchase! ;-) Didnt have any problems getting an exchange.

Mine was from lowes at that time it was a 3/4 119.00. If that helps any.

LLigetfa said:
festerw said:
I don't have water problems myself but a few folds I know swear by Zoeller pumps.

http://www.zoellerpumps.com/ProductByCategory.aspx?CategoryID=3
I've heard good things about their pumps but their switches have a bad reputation.

Set the pumps at different levels so that the second only comes on if/when the first cannot keep up. That should reduce the cycling on the first pump.

If you're getting that much volume, you might need to re-slope the yard and get the rain gutters away from the house.

+1 , a well placed berm or French drain or two does wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.