Remnants

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukas060606

Nov 28, 2010
CT Shoreline
So I'm still relatively new here, but I think I'm quickly getting up to speed. Here's a summary: bought this house in oot-five. When I bought it I stipulated the old guy had to leave his wood pile. Probably about 6 cords. I lit the New Yorker here and there until now, and probably started this winter with two to three cords left of his pile. I'll add here that his pile was split, stacked, open to wind, and under cover of a roof sticking off the back of the garage (three sides open on the stack for ventilation)....in my mind that means that the wood I am burning right now is as dry as I will ever get without "intervention". So I decide to get scientific about the whole thing, and I buy a moisture meter. The readings on the wood that I know is at least six years old in a stack under a roof with wind galore is 19%. Questions: that seems high to me given the age and protection of the wood. is my meter incorrect? Or, is that as dry as I can get? I'm in Southern CT about a mile inland of LI Sound. There is no way I'll ever get six years ahead to have 19% wood again. Plus I have read that "dry" wood is 19% and below, so I'm thinking the dryest days are quickly going behind me. On another note, I have a bunch of non-splits that have been out in the elements for three years, and when I just split them now, and take a reading on the newly exposed wood they are around 25%. With those readings, I think either my moisture meter is not accurate, or no matter what I do, my wood will never get below 19% MC. I mean I'm in a situation where if I go full bore from here on out on wood burning, without outside help, I'll never be able to have wood as dryer than I have now....if I'm lucky my wood will match the wood I have now, but I need to get ahead to make that happen. I sort of rambled on a bit, but I guess the final question comes down to whether or not 19% moisture is what would be expected of six plus year old splits that are properly stacked under a roof?

Welcome aboard! That wood sounds like you hit the jackpot. I don't measure MC, but I think you're doing well with that.

Wood only gets so dry outdoors. It reaches an equilibrium, depending on the relative humidity, sun, rain on it etc. If it's not split- it may not dry much at all, or may be full of water if it's directly on the ground. That 25% stuff may be fine now, and will be perfect if split and stack this summer for next fall burning.

Wood dries best when it gets wind and sun, split and stacked in single rows, uncovered. I'm sure that you've read the general guidelines here- at least 2 years for oak, and about a year for everything else.

Yes plus one. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT SOME WOULD DO FOR WOOD LIKE THAT!!! :ahhh:

I believe it's true that it won't go any drier. The 25% is probably good too.
The low percentages that are sometimes referred to are for kiln-dried dimensional lumber. (Read around the web and you'll see.)
Which gave me an idea...use your meter on some 2x4 scrap, or something like that, and see what results. It can be in the single digits.

Lucas we burn older wood like that all the time and love it. What is the moisture content of our wood? I have no idea nor do I care so long as it burns good.

On the drying part, even open on 3 sides, it still is not the best for drying the wood. Wood is best dried out in the sun and wind (wind being the most important) and only then, after it has dried out in the sun and wind should it be moved inside a shed....even a 3 way open shed. However, you can get away with it if it is under that roof for many years as it will continue to dry some.

One more point: why do you feel you can never get to the six year old wood? For one thing, you can't and never will so long as you say you can't. Change the thinking and you very well might find yourself with lots of good dry wood on hand. Realize too that a six year wood supply is worth a whole lot more than putting that money into a CD. The wood can increase a lot in value; the CD is not doing too hot in the past few years. I'll take the wood over the CD any time.

There are posting here that tell us that the less expensive Moisture Meters are set for a particular type of wood and not firewood. So, that measure about 5% high. Therefore, you may actually be golden with that reading of 19%. The truth is in the burning.
Has all that wood in your stack been previously split? If not, you need to get it all split if you want it to dry out. If it is in big splits, split them down further. Smaller splits will dry much quicker. Of course, they'll burn quicker, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.