Remote Receiver Cover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deron

Nov 3, 2009
Northern Kentucky
Here are some photos to illustrate.

The installer left it like this.

6d45b71d.gif

The wiring leading from the remote receiver to the unit.

6d101ea8.gif

My idea is to conceal the receiver behind the old fan grill (which does not work) extend the wiring
from the receiver and have the power cord come out the opposite side of the grill at the bottom right.

bc5b4979.gif

Apparently the only other option is to remove our glass doors which I would prefer not to do.

Any thoughts, ideas/suggestions?

Here's a PhotoShop of my idea. It should be fairly easy to conceal the wiring as opposed to
having the receiver sitting on the hearth.

2f0b86bc.gif

The cover should work fine. Generally there's an air space
between the cover & the receiver that will allow the heat to
dissipate, before it affects the batteries.
You shouldn't build up a lot of heat in there anyway,
because you HAVE to burn with the doors open,
UNLESS you paid big bucks for pyro-ceram
in lieu of tempered glass...

I'm thinking the cover is not going to be an option since I can't route the 12 V power cord without drilling a huge hole. I wish it was
battery instead of AC.

I neglected to mention that my glass doors are mortared in all the way around so I can't move them, that's where I got the idea based on
my photoshop of drilling a small hole where I could pass the red wires from the unit to the receiver and then tuck it away out of site in the
old heatilator exhaust vent.

Is the wiring used just standard wiring or is it specially rated for this particualr application? I assume I can bury the wiring on the fireplace
floor with lava rock to hide it?

Those remotes are not rated to be inside of the firebox with a gas log. No matter where you put it, if unprotected, it will malfunction.

What kind of remote is that? It looks like a fancy remote with a touch screen. Does it have a thermostat on it? Thermostatic remotes are not allowed on gas logs, because they are not heating appliances.

Make sure your damper is locked in an open position suffient enough to run the log set at all times.

Make sure you always run the logs with the doors fully open.

Those skytech remote receivers do come in battery operated models.

All the wires are just standard stuff. You could cut the red wires , feed through a hole, and splice inside the fan grille. Also, that fan should be running off 110V fed from a switch someaplce. You could cut the fan wires off, add an outlet in there and plug the remote in right behind the grille. Just make sure you disconnect the fan on the other side also.

jtp10181 said:
Those remotes are not rated to be inside of the firebox with a gas log. No matter where you put it, if unprotected, it will malfunction.

What kind of remote is that? It looks like a fancy remote with a touch screen. Does it have a thermostat on it? Thermostatic remotes are not allowed on gas logs, because they are not heating appliances.

Make sure your damper is locked in an open position suffient enough to run the log set at all times.

Make sure you always run the logs with the doors fully open.

Those skytech remote receivers do come in battery operated models.

All the wires are just standard stuff. You could cut the red wires , feed through a hole, and splice inside the fan grille. Also, that fan should be running off 110V fed from a switch someaplce. You could cut the fan wires off, add an outlet in there and plug the remote in right behind the grille. Just make sure you disconnect the fan on the other side also.

Skytech is telling me it will work with my Monessen gas log remote receiver.

The logset is rated for vented and ventless operation so why would I want to lock my damper open when I can
open and close it myself just like a wood burner?

Just because it works doesn't mean its legal.

Anyway, I did not know it was a vent-free (aka lung-vented) gas log.

If it is rated as a heating appliance then a thermostatic remote is fine.

You can forget the comment about the damper lock, that only applies to vented gas logs.

Definitely do not put that receiver in the firebox at all if you will use it with the damper shut, it will melt or malfunction for sure due to all the heat.

Sorry JTP but I have to disagree with you. The reciever boxes can be put in the fire box as long as it is protected from the radiant heat. That can be done with a cover, an old fake log, or I have even tucked it by the valving as long as its protected from the radiant heat. Even a VF log sets will not heat up the whole fire box as long as it is set up properly (no doors ect). The valve controls all have plastic knobs and handles and the only time I have seen those melt is when a customer changed the log pattern on me after I left. When he did that, the valve was exposed to alot of radiant heat. JB

The plastic might not melt, but the heat makes the remote malfunction. Either it runs for a while then shuts off, or it runs for a while and wont shut off. The logs we use that can have those remotes specifically say in the manual not to put the receivers in the firebox.

Update

I went ahead and drilled the hole for the remote receiver wiring...it turned out pretty much like my photoshop prototype.

The wiring runs across the bottom to the hole and out to the hearth and tucked away in an inoperative fan grill outside.
I extended the wiring with butt connections and further overlapped that with electric tape.

My idea is to find a thin flat rock, maybe like a piece of slate and lay it on top of the wiring to protect it from heat and then
cover the area up with more decorative lava rock, as well as for aesthetics.

Here's the photos:

2010-10-28_23-59-52_501-1.gif

2010-10-29_00-00-17_200-1.gif

2010-10-29_00-00-48_867-1.gif

2010-10-29_00-00-59_931-1.gif

2010-10-29_00-01-10_856-1.gif

2010-10-29_00-01-17_661-1.gif

2010-10-29_00-01-10_856.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.