Remote thermostat or not.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletkid

Oct 10, 2011
I am working on installing my harman p35i and am wondering about installing a wall thermostat. I would like to be able to set it to about 64 during the night and then about 72 about a hour before i get up then shut down when i leave for work and also heat it back up before i get home. I live were it dont get any colder than about 30 during the winter dont know if this would make a difference. I think i understand that this will make it go into a 4 blink error code is this hard on the stove or control board? Also will this increase or decrease the life of my igniter? What would be a good thermostat to get that will not ruin what is left of the pocket book after forking out 3000+ for this stove? :)

Having the ability to regulate the Pellet Stove "automatically" is the one "plus" I give as a cudo to my Pellet Stove friends.

Otherwise,.............

-Soupy1957

If I had to do it all over again I would get a wireless thermostat. Finding just the right place for the thermost on the first try didn't work out for me. Don't expect the Harman to bring the whole house up six degrees in an hour.

when It gets real cold( 20s) I dont think I will use thermostat. If I set mine at 72 it would be about 62 up stairs. I need the room with the stove to be 80 to 85 to get decent heat in the rest of the house. Im 2300 sq ft. If I put the thermostat up stairs the stove would run all the time any way. I run it on setting #3 and that seems to work for me. Usually turn to# 1 when leaving for work. based on that I set my thermostat on 80 in the pellet room and on warmer days it will cycle to low. Im going to install a digital programable to have more flexibility. I like the idea just need to fine tune it for my needs.

DBCOOPER said:
If I had to do it all over again I would get a wireless thermostat. Finding just the right place for the thermost on the first try didn't work out for me. Don't expect the Harman to bring the whole house up six degrees in an hour.

you took the words right out of my mouth, DB, about the recovery rate on the stoves. I did that last year and it took hours to get the temp back up. Not only is the air at 64 degrees but every piece of furniture, the walls, the floor are all at 64 and they must all be warmed up. This year I'm trying to keep the temp up all night and just close off the bedroom for good sleeping. We'll see how that goes.

The pellet stove will not have the recovery of my central air heater and be able to warm up the house i guess the main think i am wanting is to have the stove warmed up and running when i wake up so i can stand by it and drink my coffee. :) The main question i have is does this damage the control board by making it get a error code when the thermostat will shut it off and also will this increase or decrease the life of the ingiter?

Status
Not open for further replies.