Removing frozen screws in a Vigilant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badgerdawg

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal Mountains
Greetings and hello! I am a newb here, been searching past topics for the last 3 hours...LOVE all the helpful information you share! I apologise if these subjects have been around here before, I REALLY tried searching first!!!

Anyway, I just picked up a Vigilant (1983) that I need to replace all the gaskets on. I am unable to remove the screws on the doors and the flue. I have tried penetrating oil for a week now, nothing is budging. Can I drill them out? Replacing with sheet metal screws? Any help removing these bad boys is appreciated.

Also, I have removed the body rust with steel wool and wire brushes. I really don't want to paint the stove and loose it's patina. Can I wipe a warm stove with Crisco, like a cast iron pan?

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing from you!

Badgerdawg said:
Greetings and hello! I am a newb here, been searching past topics for the last 3 hours...LOVE all the helpful information you share! I apologise if these subjects have been around here before, I REALLY tried searching first!!!

Anyway, I just picked up a Vigilant (1983) that I need to replace all the gaskets on. I am unable to remove the screws on the doors and the flue. I have tried penetrating oil for a week now, nothing is budging. Can I drill them out? Replacing with sheet metal screws? Any help removing these bad boys is appreciated.

Also, I have removed the body rust with steel wool and wire brushes. I really don't want to paint the stove and loose it's patina. Can I wipe a warm stove with Crisco, like a cast iron pan?

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing from you!

Welcome to the forum! I have had good luck using PB Blaster penetrating spray with stubborn screws.. Lowes had it the last time I was there.. Good stuff!

Ray

As previously mentioned, PB blaster is great stuff. Try soaking for a week with that and see if it helps. If that doesn't do the trick than slightly heating the area with a torch or heat gun can also help with removal. If you do happen to snap a bolt off don't sweat it, simply center punch what remains and drill out with the correct size drill (left hand bits if you have them) and tap the hole to accept a new bolt.

I'd think twice before using an impact screwdriver on a cast iron stove like the vigilant.

+++ PB Blaster penetrating spray

Just used it to remove the receiver in our trailer hitch that rusted in place from road salt/etc.

Shari

PB Blaster and that impact driver. if that can't get it out, it must be welded :)

I would NEVER hit cast iron with a hammer or any impact type tool! Cast iron does not flex and will crack or break if hammered upon.. I stripped out the phillips bolts and used PB Blaster and long nose vice grips to remove those 1/4"-20 flat head phillips and replaced them with allen cap bolts with black washers..

Ray

Thanks everyone! A week of penetrating oil hasn't worked, so now I am trying PB Blaster. I don't think I will try the impact hammer though, I'd be afraid of cracking the iron. I'll keep ya posted!

If you can get in there... heat up the screws, then hold a piece of paraffin wax to it. It'll melt the wax, and as it cools, draw the wax in.

A mechanic friend recently told me about it... said an old-timer mentioned it to him, and he couldn't believe how well it worked! Showed me the box of paraffin he'd recently bought an added to his toolbox!

I was in the same boat with my VC Defiant. I needed to put shields on it for safety and the screws wouldn't go ANYWHERE. I used liquid wrench and PB Blaster (I am a huge fan of PB). I even got out the Zexx and it wouldn't go anywhere. Finally I got the sears impact screwdriver and it popped them right off for me.

Here's the trick - don't hit it with a hammer. I know what the picture says. Don't do it. Use the palm of your hand. You seat the screwdriver, turn it to the left to take the slack out (it will come towards you ever so slightly) then hit it with the palm of your other hand. Do this a few times, and the screws will actually come out.

If you get to the point of havng to drill out the bolts, order up some left handed drill bits. Unlike a left handed Crescent wrench they actual make left handed drill bits, although you may ahve to go to a place like Fasternall. You run the drill in reverse and it loosens up the thread while its drilling. Quite often the threads will come out while drilling the pilot hole.

YIPPEE-KY-AYE! I have successfully removed ONE screw...so far...oh well, 9 to go! Two heads broke off. I am still working the PB Blaster, as I don't have a chance of acquiring paraffin, my blow torch or an impact hammer/screwdriver at this time.

I do need some schooling though, be kind, I'm "just a girl"...what the heck is the point behind "Screw Extractors"? On the two screw heads that broke off, I tried it...first drilling pilot holes and then using the "EXTRACTOR". All I have are holes inside the screws. I don't get it. The extractors don't bite or anything, just spin around. Please let me know what I am missing.

OK, that's it for now...THANK YOU!

you can always find someone with a welder and have them weld nuts onto the end of the screws to remove the screws. works all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.