Repainting a gas insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

love2dance

May 24, 2010
Raleigh NC
What happens if you use regular spray paint on the exterior of a gas fireplace insert? Can you paint over it with a heat resistant paint or do you have to remove the regular paint first? If so, how do you remove it??

This is a placeholder for loves2dance.

The regular paint may bubble, blister and smoke at the hottest areas of the insert. It will need to be removed before repainting with proper high-temp paint. Removal will depend on the paint. What type of "regular" paint was used?

Thanks for moving this. My daughter posted it for me and she wasn't sure how to make the post. My daughter was being helpful and repainted the black metal portion of our fireplace insert with regular spray paint while I was at work. Can it be removed with acetone?

It depends on the paint. Acetone is the solvent for StoveBrite paint I believe, but lacquer thinner may work better for regular spray paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.