Repainting Enamal porcelain on a Napoleon 4102

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billfish

Jan 25, 2010
Norwood, MA
Hello! New to the forum, Great info on here, thanks!!!

I bought my first home in October and have been looking since to install a insert in my fireplace. I own a 1100 sq/ft 3 BR open layout ranch

$ is tight with mounting first home expenses. But I found a Napoleon 4102 on sale from someone in my neigborhood.. $650. With a cord of wood. Stove is 4 yrs old.. and will fit perfect in my fireplace.

Only problem is that it is the green porcelain "frame".. My wife will not go for it, wants black to stick with our "look"

So my question: Can the porcelain enamal be lightly sanded and painted with a stove paint? OR am I asking for more problems than its worth? If I dont get it, I will probably wait till I possibly get a tax return back.. My 60 yr old oil burner is just killing me though

Thanks for suggestions

Bill

Bill,
That porcelain enamel is a glass-based glaze. If you want to roughen the surface it might be better to sandblast. It wouldn't be easy to sand. My recommendation would be to contact a place that specializes in coatings and see what they say.

Here's one place to try: http://www.newenglandsodablast.com/?gclid=CP3Z9f67wJ8CFRE55QodmjUO3A

Dan

Great! I will try them...

Imagine the cost may not warrant doing it.. Getting a new and a tax credit may be a better bet..

Will let you know what those guys say.

Bill

Don't bother trying to repaint. This sounds like a decent deal. Might just be time to tell her politely that this is the best option when money is tight. In a few years if she saves her pennies she can buy any stove she wants. Or maybe redecorate?

That Sounds like it would work, but the living room is "Hers", the basement "Mine" for my manroom/deer,elk,duck gallery... So I have to agree with her on this one.

Also got pricing on putting a 16' 6" pipe in the chimney and a cap.. $1100 from a local guy, $700 just for installation labor from a Fireplace Store locally. So they'll probably come in at $1300-1400.... WOW, that just made this temporary stove a permanent one.
PRice seem right? Can I do better?

THANKS All!

Status
Not open for further replies.