Replacement/Upgrade Air Filter for Jonsered 535

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass. Wine Guy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Northeastern Massachusetts
Can anyone point me toward a really good air filter I can use to upgrade the nylon mesh filter in my Jonsered 535? I had the saw serviced and the mechanic told me the carb was full of saw dust and other assorted wood-like particles. I pay attention to the filter and clean it often, but apparently it's not doing its job very well. I hear that felt filters are very effective.

It looks very much like this, except it's all white plastic with nylon mesh.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 535 Air Filter.jpg
    535 Air Filter.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 306
Can you post any pic's...With that saw its will have to be a modded.

So I found what was said to be an oem felt air filter for my saw. I bought it from Scott at www.chainsawr.com. Really nice guy. I got it today.

The felt filter is one piece and when seated in the saw the opening for the carb is totally exposed. With the mest filter I have, there are two parts that snap together so the air going into the carb is filtered through the mesh screen on top. Is the felt filter supposed to have another piece to it? As it is, wouldn't all kinds of sawdust and other stuff flow easily into the carb?

Is my engine safe using the felt filter as it is?

Mass. Wine Guy said:
So I found what was said to be an oem felt air filter for my saw. I bought it from Scott at www.chainsawr.com. Really nice guy. I got it today.

The felt filter is one piece and when seated in the saw the opening for the carb is totally exposed. With the mest filter I have, there are two parts that snap together so the air going into the carb is filtered through the mesh screen on top. Is the felt filter supposed to have another piece to it? As it is, wouldn't all kinds of sawdust and other stuff flow easily into the carb?

Is my engine safe using the felt filter as it is?

Any way you can post a pic? saw and all.

Mass. Wine Guy said:
The filter looks like this:

Need to see the whole set up thinking a wire screen in there may do it? But hard to say from my seat.lol

I asked Scott about it and he told me the air is pulled up through the filter, then into the opening for the carb. Couldn't dirt, etc. still get in from the top, even if the plastic cover is screwed on tight?

Mass. Wine Guy said:
I asked Scott about it and he told me the air is pulled up through the filter, then into the opening for the carb. Couldn't dirt, etc. still get in from the top, even if the plastic cover is screwed on tight?

Looks like it should be fine to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.