Replacement Window brand recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4dimad

Jul 4, 2008
MA
I am sure this has been asked of you guys a million times...
I have been gathering some information from various windows manufacturers / installers and their pricing.

There are mid range manufacturers in the list and I was wondering if it does make any sense to buy from Lowe's or Home Depot or to go with one of the "coupon" / special offer companies (i.e. NewPro, etc.)?

Thanx

I have on two seperate occasions purchased from both stores mentioned above, both with alum. clad exterior and wood interior. Both times the millwork employees have contacted the representative and was authorized to give a discount, or extended same as cash time frame in addition to discount. Some windows qualify for the up to 30% tax rebate,,but these may only be top of the line in effeciency type. (possibly only triple pane,,not sure,,,check with your tax agent.)
I have once installed two double hung replacement vinyl windows (side by side) TRIPLE pane. I can attest that during summer and winter seasons you can hardly feel cold or hot radiating off that 3rd. pane. Cost??? Pricey!!! Return investment,effeciency???Definitely!!!( provided you did the whole house)

I would stay away from the new-pro types they are a rip-off in my opinion, they wanted to replace my 2 pella storm doors that were about 1 year old in addition to the windows.....
I went with a local glass company that did replacement windows and they were great.....
If you're near Beverly try Weaver glass.......

No specific brand reccomendations, but I would suggest checking out the Efficient Windows Collaborative website - they seem to have a lot of good info on there, as well as lists of brands and so forth.

Gooserider

Harvey Windows are pretty popular in New England. We just did our whole house with them. Very nice windows. Lots of the smaller independent installers use them, and some of the larger companies do too, e.g., Grantie State Glass in NH.

Our house has the first generation alum clad/wood frame Pella windows and what impresses me the most about them is they are still completely serviceable. I have had some minor issues with the windows dropping a little and was able to pick up new hinges and anything else I wanted to bring them back up to original condition.

So 20+ years later I can still get parts which says a lot to me. We have the slim shades in between the glass. Very nice feature but I am sure there is loss on efficiency for that feature.

I would definitely choose Pella over Anderson. We installed Hurd vinyl in our house and are very happy with them. If you want to go crazy, there are some fiberglass manufacturers I looked at in Canada that look like they make a great product.

Status
Not open for further replies.