Replacing maul handle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darl Bundren

Hearth Supporter
Jan 9, 2008
WNC
My dad gave me his maul as he doesn't ever split wood anymore. It has a new handle, but he did not replace it correctly so the maul head doesn't sit securely on the handle. He also did not trim the handle flush before he drove the wedge in to hold it in place.

I've never replaced a maul handle--I'd assume I drive the head down as far as it will go onto the new handle, trim off the excess, and drive the wedge in to secure it. Is this right?

And, are there any tips or tricks you might suggest to ensure that the head will stay secure? Should I use any adhesives to secure the wedge?

Thanks.

I replaced the handle on my axe this past fall and just found a tutorial on the web that seemed sensible. If I had to do it again, I would have taken more time to shape the top of the handle better to match the hole in the axe head.

cmonSTART said:
I replaced the handle on my axe this past fall and just found a tutorial on the web that seemed sensible. If I had to do it again, I would have taken more time to shape the top of the handle better to match the hole in the axe head.

And not used epoxy.

Thanks for posting the link to that thread, Eric. My brothers were reading that and laughing uncontrollably - captures the personalities perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.