Replacing Pellet Insert with Propane

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

garys314

Oct 10, 2007
I have two pellet stoves in my house. My mother-in-law has her own separate area in which we have a pellet insert. This is getting to much for her and i am reluctantly looking at switching. I do not know anything about propane. I brought someone in from the gas company to quote job. I am concerned that we will not get the same amount of heat from the gas as we do from the pellet and my monthly cost will go up. Of course the sales guy said no to that.

Is there any advantage purchasing from the gas company vs a store. Would really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in Advance,

Gary

garys314 said:
I have two pellet stoves in my house. My mother-in-law has her own separate area in which we have a pellet insert. This is getting to much for her and i am reluctantly looking at switching. I do not know anything about propane. I brought someone in from the gas company to quote job. I am concerned that we will not get the same amount of heat from the gas as we do from the pellet and my monthly cost will go up. Of course the sales guy said no to that.

Is there any advantage purchasing from the gas company vs a store. Would really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in Advance,

Gary

http://www.travisindustries.com/CostOfHeating_WkSht.asp?P=2

sales guys like to sell stuff. typically gas costs more than pellets(otherwise why would anyone use pellets...ok pellet pigs-------flame away lol)

if you told us the model you are replacing, and which models you are looking at new we can compare output/btu's for you....

There is no advantage purchasing from the gas company. What happens if you change gas companies?

Yes, you should be able to get the same amount of btu's from a propane unit as your pellet insert. It may have a different "feel" to the heat though. If you read through some of the different posts here, you can read of the "feel" of the heat given off by a particular type of heat. People usually will say that a gas unit will provide a cold feeling heat and a biomass unit will provide a warm feeling heat.

The pellet stove i am replacing is a ten year old whitfield advanvantage. The insert quoted to me was a regency e33. BTW, the cost of that was 3033.

Where are you located? In some regions like the midwest propane is reasonably priced, in others it is not. If propane is very expensive in your area look at the cost of electric and perhaps consider a high efficiency, mini-split heat pump.

New England area, CT.

Status
Not open for further replies.