replacing safety glass in French door single pane safety.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
estimate to come to house is 271.00... Glass alone guy said over phone is close to $100.....
Heck Hubby already removed the broken shards....this was the second safety glass panel in couple months caused by flying gravel...the first one was a fogged unit we used in the feathered groups" solarium"
Now thats single pane safety glass. Blessing that the inner removable panel is intact....
Called the mfg.. she said estimate to come here would be about 1 THOUSAND.... DUH
I watched the windowREPAIR guy(same brand) put in our new bay window center glass. it was just days old.. Someone threw one of our concrete pyramids thru it....
i cant remember if we had the removable inner panel in yet....
I am going to try to talk Hubby into doing it himself.. that would be $100
Now it just has the roll caulk. He has removed the "aluminum " trim so the caulktape is exposed....
Now trying to find used screen or security doors on CList........ since we have so much bad luck with flying gravel....

Just in case anyone cares Hubby took care it himself and saved a lot. Had to drive over 30 miles to pick up the 90 plus dollar safety glass that we ordered... The business didnt call us. we had to call and check, if it ever came in.
when we got there we had to wait over 1/2 hr. while the guy found the glass panel.. very busy place.
Hubby talked to the window repair guy that we met and did some work years ago back in the city.He advised him how to proceed over the phone...
I didnt see Hubby do every step but he did a great job and it took quite a while. he even had to shore up the bottom of the used bought door.. repaced some rotted wood and painted bottom of the door and reinstall the rubber weatherstripping.
The Amish guy who painted it and made a door jamb frame didnt even take off the bottom rubber strip when we paid him over $5oo to do the job...Plus Hubby said he paid him $150 MORE and picked him up and took him back home...
What a lousy paint job I wouldnt reccomend him.. If I ever see him I will tell him so.
Does anyone that paid to do a job, not do a half a** job....? we even had to touch up the inside wood between the TWO panes of glass. the glass panel is removable.. which is my fav thing about that brand of windows and doors... RAH
thanks for listening and my venting. LOL