Report on first full day of burning in the Progress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HollowHill

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2009
Central NY
I fear I'm overdoing it with these daily posts, but I've learned a lot from others and want to return the favor. So, if you're interested read on. Got up bright and early to start up the Progress. Used a top down method, worked well, almost too well, but when she started to alarm me, I was able to dial it right down. Spent several hours of regular burning, no cat, just a few splits, to get her up to temp slowly and finish off any further breaking in. Oh, yeah, and gathering up my courage. At 10 put in 2 medium splits and 15 minutes later (stove top around 350, I think) closed the bypass and dialled back the air. Gulp. She did just fine, temp on top didn't shoot up, stayed around 380. Down to coals by noon, put in 3 splits, engaged the cat again, dialed back the air to almost nothing, and she cruised along quite nicely, getting up to 430 or so. Fire lasted until 3:30. Reloaded with 3 splits again. Now for the really great part - the living room was toasty and the rest of the house was between 66 and 68 rather uniformly!!!! The oil furnace (set at 62) has not turned on all day! I wasn't really intending for that to happen, just hoped to get the living room nice, so I'm more or less floored. From 3 medium splits at a time. In a drafty, 2400 sq ft, non-open plan, old farmhouse. Not using fans or anything to promote air circulation. Did I mention that I'm rather pleased!!!!?

A couple of things I've noticed - the stove or tee whistles all the time, should I be concerned? And, most of the day, after I engaged the cat, there was no smoke visible when I went outside, but tonite when I went out, I did see some, even though the cat was engaged. What does that mean when you see smoke with the cat engaged?

The only slight difficulty I'm encountering at this point is the lack of any marks to indicate where you are when you move the air control/draft lever at the back of the stove. I didn't happen to notice if there were any before they put the rear heat shield on. Should I just paint some on? What type paint would you use? Thanks.

Now I'm going to collapse in a puddle of spent adrenalin and sweat (have changed into a short sleeve shirt, considering shorts) :)

HollowHill said:
I fear I'm overdoing it with these daily posts

I'm sure I speak for all the wood burning freaks here when I saw; No, you are not.

I could actually use more pictures, to be honest.

Steam is easy to see at night coming out of a chimney. If the stuff is rising and dissipating not too far out of the chimney it is steam not smoke. That is that moisture in the air that the stove is sucking out of your house.

Thanks for the progress reports.

BrotherBart said:
If the stuff is rising and dissipating not too far out of the chimney it is steam not smoke.

You nailed it, that's exactly what it was doing. Thanks!

So, apart from the wood usage, how does this compare to the heat that your old Defiant produced?

Sounds awesome HH, congrats! Now how about some pics? :)

Ray

BrowningBAR said:
So, apart from the wood usage, how does this compare to the heat that your old Defiant produced?

I didn't have an old Defiant, only a fireplace and many years ago, an antique soapstone stove. I think another member who is getting a Progress does, tho.

raybonz said:

Ray

I tried to take a pic of the awesome secondaries, but I think the camera's flash obliterated them. A shame because it is quite a show, really entrancing.

Sounds like it's working out great. Check to see if there any gaps between the stove exhaust collar and the tee and fill them with furnace cement, it may stop the whistle.

The PH doesn't have any air setting marks? Take another look, the other Woodstocks have them but they can be hard to see. I painted mine with a high temp white paint and artist brush.

HollowHill said:
raybonz said:

Ray

I tried to take a pic of the awesome secondaries, but I think the camera's flash obliterated them. A shame because it is quite a show, really entrancing.

Yes I saw the Progress run at Woodstock.. Turn off your flash and the flames will show up better..

Ray

HollowHill said:
BrowningBAR said:

I didn't have an old Defiant, only a fireplace and many years ago, an antique soapstone stove. I think another member who is getting a Progress does, tho.

Sorry, I did confuse you with another poster.

HollowHill said:
I fear I'm overdoing it with these daily posts, but I've learned a lot from others and want to return the favor. So, if you're interested read on. Got up bright and early to start up the Progress. Used a top down method, worked well, almost too well, but when she started to alarm me, I was able to dial it right down. Spent several hours of regular burning, no cat, just a few splits, to get her up to temp slowly and finish off any further breaking in. Oh, yeah, and gathering up my courage. At 10 put in 2 medium splits and 15 minutes later (stove top around 350, I think) closed the bypass and dialled back the air. Gulp. She did just fine, temp on top didn't shoot up, stayed around 380. Down to coals by noon, put in 3 splits, engaged the cat again, dialed back the air to almost nothing, and she cruised along quite nicely, getting up to 430 or so. Fire lasted until 3:30. Reloaded with 3 splits again. Now for the really great part - the living room was toasty and the rest of the house was between 66 and 68 rather uniformly!!!! The oil furnace (set at 62) has not turned on all day! I wasn't really intending for that to happen, just hoped to get the living room nice, so I'm more or less floored. From 3 medium splits at a time. In a drafty, 2400 sq ft, non-open plan, old farmhouse. Not using fans or anything to promote air circulation. Did I mention that I'm rather pleased!!!!?

A couple of things I've noticed - the stove or tee whistles all the time, should I be concerned? And, most of the day, after I engaged the cat, there was no smoke visible when I went outside, but tonite when I went out, I did see some, even though the cat was engaged. What does that mean when you see smoke with the cat engaged?

The only slight difficulty I'm encountering at this point is the lack of any marks to indicate where you are when you move the air control/draft lever at the back of the stove. I didn't happen to notice if there were any before they put the rear heat shield on. Should I just paint some on? What type paint would you use? Thanks.

Now I'm going to collapse in a puddle of spent adrenalin and sweat (have changed into a short sleeve shirt, considering shorts) :)

Well, I was sitting on pins and needles waiting for a report yesterday but turned the computer off before you posted. It sounds good but perhaps you should try 4 or 5 splits now and get some heat! And don't wait too long to engage that cat. As for the temperature handle, no there are no numbers. There is talk about doing something about that but not sure when it will happen. There is not so much movement of the draft though so you should learn where to set that very quickly.

You man not need to use fans until the weather really turns cold but it makes me happy knowing the more even temperature you have which will make it much more comfortable as I know you work at home. As for that whistle, I think you stated the installers are coming back. Make them fix that as it is not right.

Just one word of warning here HollowHill. Dressed the way you are, it is highly advisable to not get your pants on fire now!

I used some refrigerator touch up paint on the lines on my Keystone damper adjustment- seems to be holding up okay

Status
Not open for further replies.