Request feedback for Expansion tank design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donl

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Ontario
How do you think this would work for expansion serving 1000 gallon pressurized storage?

I will use two salvaged 50 gallon HW tanks. The sight window on top of the first tank will let me know when there is a need to drain out some water.
Would it be of benefit to pressurize the tanks with nitrogen instead of air thus eliminating any oxygen from being absorbed ?

Don

Attachments

• expansion tanks_j.jpg
    expansion tanks_j.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 267
Hi Don; I can't comment on the water/air sealing of this system, I don't have the expertise & you seem quite sure this will work. I do know that my boiler(Atmos) requires much more expansion capacity. I need 132 gallons for a 2000 liter(528 gallon) tank. Atmos talks about power balancing, whatever that means. I know that 20 percent capability is common, what does Eko say? You might want to do some more checking with EKO before investing a bunch of time in this, I would be surprised if they were at 10 percent expansion. I wish that Bell & Gossett Airtrols had a better reputation then we could all use compressed air tanks from your local air compressor dealer. Obviously if the 20 percent is applied to your 1000 gallons you would need 200 gallons of expansion. Good luck, Randy

I'm using a 250gal propane tank for a expansion tank with 2000gals of storage. I tied it in at the bottem just before the pump. I haven't had any problems and it seems to be working out great. I haven't had to add any air and have noticed no loss of air. I thought about using nitrogin but didn't. Shannon is using a 235gal and it is working well for him also. We heard that you had to have the tanks higher than water level but having seen lots of the old water systems with expansion tanks in the basements and with my understanding of hyd didn't buy into that and so far haven't had any problem. Just make sure the water level is high enough into the tank to keep the air inside.
leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.