Researching boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ncsmoky

Jan 28, 2011
North Carolina
I live in Western NC where we usually have somewhat mild winters. The last couple have been much colder than usual due to global warming. A couple of years ago I started looking at the outdoor wood boilers & comtemplated a purchase until I started reading about the amount of wood they use. I just got my LP gas bill (forced air furnace) and was shocked as were all my friends & neighbors who were using gas, heat pump, oil, etc. I started looking at the wood gasifier & reading this & other forums. They appear to be something I could use in that I have plenty of wood available and don't mind working it up. However, I have no dealer in this area and have no experience with a boiler. I might get some help from my heating contractor but it is doubtful if he could configure one of these units with storage. My question is this: Is it possible to make these things work without an experienced installer? After researching this for a week or so, it appears the econoburn may be a good model to try & I have ordered some information from them. I have a 2000 sq ft house that I heat with a gas furnace (ground floor) and a heat pump for the upstairs. I have a 1000 sq ft finished basement that is heated with a small LP gas non vented heater. The main floors have a lot of well insulated windows. My gas bill from Jan 10-Jan 11 was $3600. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

The last couple have been much colder than usual due to global warming. :)

Sorry could not resist.

A wood based system is in technical terms not that much different from a solar system. Your issue may well be one of design, give a contractor a design and they should not have too many problems.

ncsmoky said:
I live in Western NC where we usually have somewhat mild winters. The last couple have been much colder than usual due to global warming. A couple of years ago I started looking at the outdoor wood boilers & comtemplated a purchase until I started reading about the amount of wood they use. I just got my LP gas bill (forced air furnace) and was shocked as were all my friends & neighbors who were using gas, heat pump, oil, etc. I started looking at the wood gasifier & reading this & other forums. They appear to be something I could use in that I have plenty of wood available and don't mind working it up. However, I have no dealer in this area and have no experience with a boiler. I might get some help from my heating contractor but it is doubtful if he could configure one of these units with storage. My question is this: Is it possible to make these things work without an experienced installer? After researching this for a week or so, it appears the econoburn may be a good model to try & I have ordered some information from them. I have a 2000 sq ft house that I heat with a gas furnace (ground floor) and a heat pump for the upstairs. I have a 1000 sq ft finished basement that is heated with a small LP gas non vented heater. The main floors have a lot of well insulated windows. My gas bill from Jan 10-Jan 11 was $3600. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Welcome to Hearth. Yes you can install this yourself with some research & you will find members here that will help, possibly if close even come over & give advice. Read the threads carefully. The Econoburn is a good choice, this is a heavy well made boiler. There are boilers with Lamda controls now that you just toss the wood in & walk away, maybe worth considering. It is good to hear a newcomer talk about storage, this really makes the install in my opinion. $3600 for 1 day sounds kind of steep, lol, good luck, Randy

We live in a similar latitude, Tenn/Ala line. I was facing the exact same situation but with a house most likely far less efficient than yours. Econoburn seems to be a good boiler. I bought a BioMass and am very pleased this season. Because of my time demands I can't always cut and prepare enough wood to stay ahead. But even buying wood around here I'm still WAY ahead vs using our propane furnace. At the current propane costs I will probably get a 3 year payback. LP is cheaper but I don't know by how much. There are a number of good boilers people here talk about on this site including the Econoburn. From reading here if you select one of the reputable/established boilers, properly install well insulated underground lines, and burn seasoned wood life will be good. The differences in efficiency between the good boilers here will be dwarfed if you don't do the underground right and burn wet wood. Read my story in the underground sticky and read some of the current posts of problems folks are having. Usually underground and wood related so resist the temptation to focus on boiler selection. Other bad decisions can kill a good boiler. Also start NOW getting wood for the 2011/2012 season even if you need to buy some. Everyone's first season is painful, but starting with seasoned wood reduces one of the big variables in learning the heating system. I've found it enjoyable to be actively involved in heating our home vs spending a bunch of money and adjusting the thermostat. But it does demand a fair amount of time to save that money. I'm happy with our decision. Read a lot here.

como, i hear ya about global warming. lol. first time in a long time here in western PA. the river has frozen over completley!!! i think we need to spend more tax dollars on investigating global warming!!! lol.

now to the original topic....
i was a "rookie" last year at this time when i looked into buying a boiler, went with an outdoor model, and with a little help from my dealer the install and plumbing were easy.... and actually kinda fun.

but a gasser, either indoor or out, is the way to go. lot less wood used and easy to operate once you figure out the little things that im sure each unit likes or dislikes. a litle bit of a learnign curve, but a good sense of accomplishment once you are up and running.
good luck with whatever route you choose.

Yep, forget the heating system, put in air con.

heaterman said:
The link below is typical of the "journey" when researching wood boilers and equipment. Good info and I doubt that the original poster would mind a bit if you contacted him via a PM and asked how they were doing with their decision.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/12352/#137730

This was a good post but the original poster "Father John" hasn't been on the forum in a long time (2008). I have wondered how he made out and if he got the install done.

sdrobertson said:
heaterman said:
The link below is typical of the "journey" when researching wood boilers and equipment. Good info and I doubt that the original poster would mind a bit if you contacted him via a PM and asked how they were doing with their decision.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/12352/#137730

This was a good post but the original poster "Father John" hasn't been on the forum in a long time (2008). I have wondered how he made out and if he got the install done.

I'll send him a PM and see if he's still there.

Might even have his e-mail around yet if I do a little hunting.

This is in my neck of the woods. I live about 20 minutes from Syon Abbey and had a great visit with Father John a couple of years ago.
Went to check out the Garn and system, ended up spending a couple of hours and got the whole tour. We talked all kinds of hydronic and building stuff. Father John definitely does his research.

Pretty amazing that 5 or 6 guys did the majority of the construction. Those are some skilled monks!

Thanks for posting that link Heaterman. I hadn't thought about that visit in a while. Well worth your time if you're ever driving the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway through SW Virginia.

Noah

Status
Not open for further replies.