Restack or no?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

K2Orion

Apr 2, 2009
St. Louis Mo
So, I came home 1 afternoon from work to find my stack had toppled. The full cord of hickory fell into the full cord of white oak and they both went down. This stack has been there ~18 mos. and is gonna be the start of my wood for this winter. Unfortunately its mostly in the shade.

So, should I restack it? Its been in the upper 90s here in STL with midwest humidity. Kinda warm to be tosssing around firewood.

In this heat I would not get in any hurry..

[quote author="K2Orion" date="1281222228"

So, should I restack it? Its been in the upper 90s here in STL with midwest humidity. Kinda warm to be tosssing around firewood.[/quote]
That's completely up to You . However , if it was my stack that fell , I'd re stack it . BTW I envy you . You have both white oak ,and Hickory !!!

I'd stack it in the early morning before it gets too hot.

And people ask me why I don't stack. If it is ready for the stove and you don't get a lot of snow, I wouldn't bother.

Actually, it ain't gonna hurt it at all if you just cover it up with a tarp and burn it when the time comes, other than the bottom maybe getting wet.

Only other thing I can think of is, if you're married do whatever SHE wants :)

It is better stacked up off the ground. A couple cord does not take that long to stack. Don't stack it over 4' high and it should be okay. We rarely have a stack topple over.

Maybe its a good time to move it closer to where it going to be burned?

hoosierhick said:
Maybe its a good time to move it closer to where it going to be burned?

As long as its dry and bug free, I say the closer the better. The 8 cord I am going to burn this winter will be under a roof within 20 ft of the stove by Halloween.

A) I enjoy stacking wood
B) I like the look of stacked wood vs. wood in a pile
C) I like the fact that stacked wood is continuing to season and is better exposed to the wind vs. a pile

I would stack the wood.

I think it is going to get wetter than it is if you leave it on the ground. There is a lot of moisture in the ground that will get into the firewood. The bottom layer of a stack always seems wetter than the stuff on top, and with a toppled stack you have a lot of wood in the bottom layer. I'd stack it.

firefighterjake said:
A) I enjoy stacking wood
B) I like the look of stacked wood vs. wood in a pile
C) I like the fact that stacked wood is continuing to season and is better exposed to the wind vs. a pile

I would stack the wood.

What he said.

Also, in a stack I feel like it's easier to see the mice before I stick my hands in.

Yep, stack it closer to the house for winter, your just a little early this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.